Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Irena Technology is Wonderful! - 03/19/14 11:28 PM

I love how it starts with all the quotes about what was considered technology in the olden days being the ruin of society... like this one: "Ball point pens will be the ruin of education in our country." Federal Teacher 1950. And, "They can't clean a slate properly. What will they do when they run out of paper." Principals Association, 1850
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Technology is Wonderful! - 03/20/14 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Irena
I love how it starts with all the quotes about what was considered technology in the olden days being the ruin of society... like this one: "Ball point pens will be the ruin of education in our country." Federal Teacher 1950. And, "They can't clean a slate properly. What will they do when they run out of paper." Principals Association, 1850

I wondered what ruined education.

So, it was the ball point pen and massive supplies of paper.

I would never have guessed it.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Technology is Wonderful! - 03/20/14 01:03 AM
I attribute it instead to the notion (first promoted in the 1960's) that "television" was a way to "replace the inefficiencies associated with human teachers."

But I could be wrong.

I just see a long, slow slide whenever technology attempts to take the PLACE of the nuance and judgment of the human brain, at least in some endeavors where the input/output is very, very complex and shifting constantly-- semi-chaotic information management, I mean.

Wonder why humans still control air traffic and do brain surgery... seems like those are WAY more important than educating 6yo about reading. er-- or maybe not, now that I think about it.

Immediate feedback via a device is still relatively clumsy and crude when compared with human observation and understanding. This is why computer-graded essays are so laughable.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Technology is Wonderful! - 03/20/14 02:17 AM
I blame the decline of in loco parentes at the college level for some of the problems there.

I mean, the students I attended with were rather wackadoo.

That might have been a function of an honors dorm at a party/athletic school, though.

Posted By: Irena Re: Technology is Wonderful! - 03/20/14 02:34 AM
JonLaw - smile you always make me chuckle
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum