Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Tizz2008 Twice Exceptional? - 09/03/08 01:48 AM
Hi,

i have been on before re my son who experienced a signficant decline in grade 3 particularly in reading - and also finds writing difficult (ideas are great but cannot seem to get them down in an organsied and logical fashion). His reading is quite slow and he seems to sound everything out and not-expressive/fluent. Also, it seems that when read to him his comprehension is excellent but when he reads he finds it hard to comprehend all that he has read (as he is reading).
Anwyay, fast forward, he has just completed the WISC IV and prelim results are -

Verbal Index - 132 (98 percentile)
Perceptual Index - 137 (99 percentile)
Working Memory - 97 (44 percentile)
Processing Speed - 108

I wonder if anyone has had similar experience or has any comments on this type of profile (in particulary the low working memory) . Also, does anyone know whether this is the type of thing a GAI is appropriate for, and how to calculate the GAI on the above? Also, I obviously wonder whether such a huge discrepancy from top score of 137 to low score of 97 (40 points!) could indicate some sort of LD?

I would appreciate any input/comments anyone may have.

thanks
t08
Posted By: keet Re: Twice Exceptional? - 09/04/08 11:14 PM
Here's a link to a GAI discussion. You're going to need subtest scores to calculate the GAI. I hope Dotty will jump in here and give you her interpretation of the scores.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Twice Exceptional? - 09/06/08 12:11 AM
Could it be dysgraphia?
Posted By: keet Re: Twice Exceptional? - 09/06/08 12:38 AM
http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/18315/1
Sorry, I didn't post the link. Also, I misspelled Dottie's name.
Posted By: Tizz2008 Re: Twice Exceptional? - 09/16/08 08:27 PM
Thanks so much everyone I forgot I posted twice as was not sure which it belonged to. Thanks again Dottie for calculating GAI for me.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum