Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MbaMom Results are in-working with gifted and ADHD - 09/17/13 12:58 AM
I just got off the phone with the psych we saw last week. He said that she has "significant ADHD-inattentive type". She scored above average in verbal comprehension and perceptual reasoning, but low-average in working memory and processing speed. He said her scores are not truly indicative of her abilities, so he would not use them to place dd at school.

His initial thought was dyslexia as well, but he thinks her issues organizing her thoughts and forming letters will be corrected by addressing her attention issues. He saw no indicators of emotional or learning disorders. He said that she's a busy child and will need freedom to move while working at school, and said that she will need to work above her grade level because she understands concepts after being introduced once. He noted that her answers to test questions were succinct and "just the way it is" so she's not liable to provide explanations (which makes me laugh because it describes DD to a T).

So now we look at medication and talking to her teachers, which is what we expected. It is a relief to have "answers"!
I know that feeling of relief. DD has done amazingly well on meds, although we had to experiment quite a bit to find the optimal dose and med combination. She has improved to the point that she blends with all the other kids and when she is medicated, no one would ever guess she has ADHD (when she's not medicated it's a different story!). Good luck.
Yay!! You must be so relieved.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum