Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Pemberley Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 06:25 PM
It has been a long, arduous and expensive journey but at today's IEP meeting our district agreed to out of district placement!

They recommended a spec ed school about a half hour away, we requested the 2E school that would mean DD and I staying out of state Monday through Friday. There is also a second small, very local (i.e. closer that her current public school) Spec Ed school that DD's psychologist recently recommended which we are in the process of checking out. Not sure where she will end up but we know she will be out of THAT place with THAT horrible principal.

I just asked DH if he felt doing the right thing still counted when you've only done it after being beaten into submission. He says no. I am just happy DD will hopefully be moving on to a better situation!

Yeah!
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 06:42 PM
Phew! Well done.
Posted By: Mk13 Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 06:45 PM
That's great! Anything will be better than your current situation!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 06:47 PM
Wonderful News! Great job advocating!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 07:27 PM
Congratulations!! You are truly tenacious!

Posted By: mnmom23 Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 07:59 PM
So excited for you! What a relief it must be to be done with the situation at that school!
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 09:29 PM
Woot!
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 09:51 PM
Congratulations - I know that you have been seeking this for a long time.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 09:58 PM
Way to go Pemberley! Now you can put down that big psychological stick you've been beating the district with. wink
Posted By: Dbat Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 10:34 PM
Congratulations--I can't imagine anyone doing more for it, or even as much as you have! I hope it really works out.
Posted By: geofizz Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/10/13 11:50 PM
Here's to a new chapter of your lives!
Posted By: Pemberley Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/11/13 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone. This has indeed been an adventure.

Today DH and I toured the school the district recommends. We are not at all convinced the student population is a match for DD. No 2E kids. The classroom we observed today had kids shouting out, bouncing around, etc. The kind of thing that would totally trigger her anxiety. We arranged for her to visit for a day but don't really expect it to work. They said that they will be rearranging classes for next year and are going to try to create as much as possible what they expect her class to look like. I asked them not to sugar coat it so she can see what a day would really be like. We'll see what happens.

We also took DD to tour the really local LD school. It's odd because all these programs focus so much on kids who need social skills but that is so not DD. She walked in, hand outstretched, and said "Hi I'm [first name] [last name]. I'm here for a tour." She charmed the pants off everyone she met. We still don't know enough about their program to be able to tell if they could meet her needs. We asked the district to make a second referral there so that we can get more information from them.

I think either place would be an improvement over her current school but I doubt either will be as good a match academically as the 2E school. Not having to uproot Monday-Friday would be huge though. I'm really not sure how this is going to end up...
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Out of District Placement! - 06/11/13 11:40 PM
Pemb, this is a huge milestone for you all. I know you'll make a great choice.

DeeDee
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum