Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
I'm curious if anyone who's parenting an older dysgraphic student has ever noticed that their child seemed to actually get slower in their movements as they got older? I've noticed lately that DS13 seems to be writing and typing slower than he used to. It's totally possible I'm hallucinating... but I've been watching as he types out sentences for his homework and emails etc for the past month or so and it just seems like he's slowing down. (and yes, he has always moved at turtle-speed, this just seems like he's suddenly become an aging turtle!) I don't think *he's* aware that he's moving slowly, but then again, he's never really been aware of it in real time, just realizes it takes him a very long time to complete homework etc.

polarbear
Sorry, no BTDT here, but this Dyspraxic teen forum:
http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/
might be useful. I noticed a thread there discussing tiredness and stress increasing slowness.
Would it be dyspraxia or general teenagerhood? I know teenage boys who just collapse into a heap if their blood sugar gets low... wouldn't surprise me if growing would slow a person down some, especially in the areas that require serious concentration.

DeeDee
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Would it be dyspraxia or general teenagerhood? I know teenage boys who just collapse into a heap if their blood sugar gets low... wouldn't surprise me if growing would slow a person down some, especially in the areas that require serious concentration.

Thanks for the reminder DeeDee - it could be just that! He's definitely been in the midst of a growth spurt for the past month or so! He's also gone from eating practically nothing to consuming mass quantities of anything and everything... so it's possible all of his energy is simply being re-routed to digestion and growing bones!

polar
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
Sorry, no BTDT here, but this Dyspraxic teen forum:
http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/
might be useful. I noticed a thread there discussing tiredness and stress increasing slowness.

Thanks Zen - I hadn't seen this forum before, and it looks like a wonderful resource. I'm going to share it with my ds smile

polar
My kiddo is about the same age - 13, and he has gone from a size M boys to a size M men's this school year (we had to buy 3 pairs of dress pants and shoes for three concerts - oh joy). He's definitely clumsier and has hit the awkward, gangly stage where he knocks stuff off counters and bangs into things because he just doesn't have his space figured out yet.

But his output has actually gotten better - a lot better. He is finishing homework fast enough to start being disruptive in class by talking to his classmates and has started the whole I'm bored routine - both of which didn't happen before this year. It wasn't that he wasn't disruptive before now - it was just for different reasons. In elementary it was because he was avoiding things he couldn't do. It's been kind of refreshing to have the whole "find something to do so you don't get you or your classmates in trouble" talk with him. smile

I'd second the checking into his blood sugar or his vision or something else.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum