Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Has anyone worked with this curriculum/model? I bookmarked it a few years ago and bought DD You Are A Social Detective, which she likes and still reads sometimes. I was reminded of it again today when another topic linked to the site. If I read here:

http://www.socialthinking.com/images/stories/ST%20SCP%20%20Ver%20%206.12.pdf

I feel like DD fits the WISC category pretty well, although she is not a bully target at this time and has many friends (but she attends a gifted magnet with a lot of quirky kids; she stands out more in other settings). I feel drawn to the model because it recognizes the possibility of kids who are struggling but who are likely to pass diagnostic tests and seem "mostly socially okay" to professionals.
Hi Ultra,

I've heard her speak, and read some of her materials. We've borrowed concepts but never deployed the whole curriculum.

I like that there's room for the "nearly but not normal" in her paradigm; yet the paradigm doesn't leave room for people who are a WISC in some circumstances and more impaired in other circumstances. Most people on the autism spectrum do better in some settings than in others. And her model doesn't allow for improvement of a kind that would move a person between categories, which I think shows a limitation in her thinking.

DeeDee
thanks for link ultra!
and thanks for your thoughts on this topic deedee!

i'm looking to find recommended online social skills "books" to read with my DS6... do either of you have a preference here?
thanks
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum