Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: RRD Discovering our own OEs? - 02/06/18 04:36 PM
On a similar theme to one of the threads I started a few weeks ago, have many of you given much thought to your own OEs?

Sometimes when I look at DS8, I feel like I am seeing myself reflected as an 8 year old boy.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Discovering our own OEs? - 02/06/18 07:28 PM
I have them in spades - inherited them from my mother apparently. My daughter has my wife’s with mine as the exponent!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Discovering our own OEs? - 02/06/18 08:03 PM
They're readily apparent in most contexts. It helps to see similar traits in my DS, and to be mindful of his particular constellation of OEs so I can meet his needs on his level.

In many ways, OEs feel like an empathy super-power. If you are able to experience the world sensitively, it assists in perspective taking because you are already regularly practicing that skill in seemingly mundane situations.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Discovering our own OEs? - 02/06/18 08:05 PM
I should flip the conversation back to you, RRD! How has consideration of your OEs played out lately? I know this has been an exciting theme for you (and us, vicariously!), and would be interested to hear about your experience with your DS.
Posted By: RRD Re: Discovering our own OEs? - 02/14/18 02:53 PM
I have what I think are OEs in spades like madeinuk and like you, aquinas, they really help me to coach DS8 along with his OEs.

But right now I am sort of in an OE existential crisis, so to speak, and I wonder if anyone could help me: Are OEs scientifically accepted? I recognize that they probably wouldn't be included in the DSM or anything, but where do they fall for the scientific/medical communities? Are they considered just part of some quack theory? Are Dabrowski's theories generally accepted?
Posted By: Dude Re: Discovering our own OEs? - 02/14/18 07:37 PM
A quick search for the following keywords and a glance at the results suggests to me that Dabrowski's OEs are both commonly accepted in the scientific community, and still controversial: Dabrowski's, overexcitabilities, journal.

Example for: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/016235321103400407

Against: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0162353212451704
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum