Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kish Your Gifted adulthood story - 07/27/17 07:48 PM
I never really knew the concept of Giftedness until I started researching on DD. The more I understood her, the more I understood myself.

The experience of understanding what I had only imagined to be my own uniquely eccentric idiosyncrasies, to be a scientifically explainable trait was bone-chilling for me.

I knew I have always tried to retro-fit myself into my classrooms or even within family, all through my childhood. As a child, I used to like to have friends, but they couldn't think like how my mind did. I used to feel my childhood imaginations were bordering on being delusional, because nobody else had such and I couldn't really talk about it to anyone.

When it came to the days of computer programming in the mid 1990s, I could visualize the computer's output to my program in my mind and wrote programs by hand on paper knowing precisely how it would execute when run on a computer - and it would turn out to be precise.

But then I was always the odd person out everywhere. Some called me nerd, some called me smart, but many called me eccentric and impatient, I was told I speak too fast, I was discouraged for knowing more than the guy who generally ranks top in school exams - "If you think you know it already, just keep it with you."

But I just thought of writing this mainly because I had a funny dose of my own asynchrony yesterday.

While I could do deep research, intricate analyses, (oh, and I overthink everything way too much!), I was flummoxed by a seemingly simple task - assembling a very small piece of furniture which didn't even require any external tools.

The problem? The instructions. They were very clear and printed in very legible English. But not for me! I struggled so much just to follow the simple step by step instructions that I almost gave up on it, until eventually after nearly an hour I got it right!

If you have any stories of your own Gifted adulthood and asynchrony, do share here.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Your Gifted adulthood story - 07/28/17 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Kish
While I could do deep research, intricate analyses, (oh, and I overthink everything way too much!), I was flummoxed by a seemingly simple task - assembling a very small piece of furniture which didn't even require any external tools.

That's because you tried to do something that involved dealing with the physical world of boring stuff.

I try to leave physical world jobs to the people who actually have at least a slight interest in dealing with physical objects.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum