Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: frannieandejsmom math competitions - 09/09/13 09:21 PM
I just signed ds7 (2nd grade) up for his first math competition TriMathlon hosted at Mathnasium. Has anyone had experience with this? Should I enter him in grade level or above grade level? His spring math MAP score (1st grade) was 233.

Thank you
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: math competitions - 09/17/13 11:28 PM
anyone?
Posted By: W'sMama Re: math competitions - 09/17/13 11:39 PM
Their website says kids should be placed based on age, so go with 2nd.
Posted By: Dbat Re: math competitions - 09/17/13 11:45 PM
Sorry to not have anything helpful to say; we don't seem to have math competition teams in our area (or at least I haven't been able to find any yet) so I am not sure. I did just Google Mathnasium and they are in our area but their main/regular (i.e., not math competition) stuff looks remedial-ish, unless I'm misunderstanding. I don't know about TriMathlon--are there other options in your area? Or online options? I am trying to learn but have struck out so far here (Research Triangle area, in NC) and was thinking maybe in middle school there might be more or online options.

Good luck with TriMathlon smile
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: math competitions - 09/18/13 12:32 AM
No experience with it, but after reading your post I printed out their grade three sample sheet and DS burned through it with no mistakes. If I tell him there are prizes I quite imagine he'll insist on doing it. Couldn't hurt as he may have a strange opportunity coming up where some math "street creds" may be good for him.
Posted By: 22B Re: math competitions - 09/18/13 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
I just signed ds7 (2nd grade) up for his first math competition TriMathlon hosted at Mathnasium. Has anyone had experience with this? Should I enter him in grade level or above grade level? His spring math MAP score (1st grade) was 233.

Thanks for the tip. We've just signed up our DS7 (2nd grade), as a 2nd grader. I think it's fine to sign up for their actual official grade even if they are doing much more advanved maths.
Posted By: gellison Re: math competitions - 09/25/13 05:30 PM
In math competitions like this you typically sign up with your grade. Unsurprisingly, the winners often turn out to be kids who are working above grade level.

Math Kangaroo is a more interesting competition at this grade level -- the problems on their tests involve more creative problem solving and doing old exams for practice can become a fun activity that builds these skills.
Posted By: Irena Re: math competitions - 09/26/13 05:38 PM
Hmmm what is the benefits of these competitions? I am thinking of having DS do one as there is a mathnasium competition in our area... How are such things set up? Do they work in teams or solo or what?
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: math competitions - 09/26/13 05:46 PM
Mathnasium is solo. If you go to their site, then go to the student link you can get to printable samples of past tests. I think the benefit here is potential success and experience with this sort of competitive format.
Posted By: Irena Re: math competitions - 09/26/13 06:12 PM
Oh thanks!
Posted By: Irena Re: math competitions - 09/26/13 06:13 PM
DS will definitely want to do it if he finds out about it ... I want to make sure it's a good idea first smile
Posted By: 22B Re: math competitions - 10/20/13 01:35 PM
Good luck everyone.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: math competitions - 10/20/13 03:45 PM
EJ took first place among the 2nd graders (maybe I should have registered him as a 3rd grader?)!!!!! There were 6 kids total for grade. The other 5 all attend private gifted schools. (there are 3 in our area all very expensive).

good luck to the other contestants!
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: math competitions - 10/20/13 04:18 PM
We entered our 1st grade DS who turned 7 the day before the competition as a 2nd grader. The owner graciously allowed her teen son to scribe for my dysgraphic son which gave him a fair shot at competing. The time limits on each section were reasonable and he was able to easily complete before time was called.

I was worried his ADHD would be a problem since they sat for 15 min, took 5 min break and repeated 3 times as well as kept them seated an extra 15 min waiting for a late participate who was stuck in traffic. However, he was a champ and appeared very NT during the entire competition. Just after we had some ADHD spill over but truly it was amazing to see his focus.

He thought the test easy until the mental math part where there were some questions he did not understand. At our location there were a dozen children competing in 2nd grade. He did not place, but really enjoyed participating. It was a great experience and he later in the day became contemplative and said, "Mom I think I'm a mathy kid." He wants to do more math competitions.

First place winner got a $25 Amazon Gift Card and a gold medal, second got a $15 I-tunes gift card and a silver medal, third got a bronze medal. Everyone got a wallet, rubics cube key chain, pencil, online game, and certificate plus a sticker saying they finished the Trimathlon at Mathnasium.

Thanks for posting about this opportunity!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum