Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ania PSAT - 10/20/09 07:40 PM
Anybody took PSAT this past week?
Posted By: aline Re: PSAT - 10/20/09 07:59 PM
The little guy? Do early testers get a different window?
Posted By: Ania Re: PSAT - 10/20/09 08:04 PM
We are sick here too frown

Ghost took it for practice as well. I bought him the Princeton Review a few days before and asked to just have a look through it and see what kind of a format this test is. He did it late Friday night and took him less than 5 minutes.
He said that this was very similar to SAT albeit shorter, and he felt the questions are of about the same difficulty. Is that so? I thought it was easier...
One good point I want to mention is that after all that testing for talent search he just really does not care about yet another test. I know that it would have been different had this test mattered for something, but Ghost was so relaxed, almost too much smile
Anybody else?
Posted By: Elisa Re: PSAT - 10/20/09 08:56 PM
DD14 took it last week and she was sick too. No prep at all as the scores don't count this year. Yes, after taking the SAT and ACT I think she had low stress. How long does it take for the results?
Posted By: Emm Re: PSAT - 10/20/09 10:59 PM
DD14 took it last week...she glanced through the practice booklet, then asked, "will the real test have harder questions?" According to her, it did. frown

I signed up for online notification of results, supposedly in mid-December. We shall see!
Posted By: Ania Re: PSAT - 10/21/09 03:58 PM
Our school did not tell us when the results will be available. I guess they will send them home, like the usual suspects ?
Anyone familiar with SSAT?
Posted By: Elisa Re: PSAT - 10/21/09 10:58 PM
I'm not sure if my daughter took the SSAT or a different standardized test for admission to high school. There were several sections including science. Based on her scores, I would say it is much easier than the SAT.
Posted By: Ania Re: PSAT - 10/22/09 04:26 AM
SSAT is used for admission to private schools.
Anybody else has any experience with it? We are discussing boarding schools here yet again...
Posted By: cym Re: PSAT - 11/01/09 12:35 PM
I'm late on this, but DS 15 took psat in Oct. He said it was easy.

I am familiar with SSAT a little. We were looking at boarding schools for DS 13 last year and they require SSAT (apparently they couldn't care less what ACT/SAT scores are!). The SSAT is offered 3 hrs away a couple times in fall/winter. I was going to schedule it but it was about $100 and when I asked DS if he was serious about applying, he couldn't give me a firm answer, so I bagged it. It turned out he chose to attend the boarding school 5 blocks from my house that doesn't require SSAT, but has its own entrance exam. It's going very well for him. Plus he received almost a full scholarship. He's excited that he'll take 4 college courses senior yr (it has a jr college too) and credits transferred and he played varsity soccer (while older brother didn't get as much playing time at the local HS).

For DS 11, I'm still considering SSAT so he has more options.
Posted By: delbows Re: PSAT - 11/01/09 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by cym
It turned out he chose to attend the boarding school 5 blocks from my house that doesn't require SSAT, but has its own entrance exam. It's going very well for him. Plus he received almost a full scholarship. He's excited that he'll take 4 college courses senior yr (it has a jr college too) and credits transferred and he played varsity soccer (while older brother didn't get as much playing time at the local HS).

This sounds like a solid option with plenty of opportunities! Congratulations on his nearly full scholarship and especially the five block commute!
Posted By: Ania Re: PSAT - 11/02/09 06:58 PM
I wish I was five blocs away from any of he schools he is considering.
Another question is if he is really considering them. The other night in the car he mentioned something about his best buddy from an 8th grade making plans to shadow him at the school Ghost is now attending.Apparently the boy would like to transfer next year. I said that it would be a bummer if so and so decides to transfer and Ghost will no longer be there. And he goes - well, I am not really going to go to a boarding school - Me - so why are we even bothering to apply - He - well I am going to apply because I MIGHT go.
??????????????
Posted By: cym Re: PSAT - 11/03/09 12:09 PM
Delbows-

It is about 5 blocks, but he does live there (no day school option). It is military prep. But with good grades, they earn lots of privileges, so I really see him more than my 15 yr old who lives at home.

Ania-

I feel like I did so much work looking into all these fancy boarding schools for DS 13 (scouring literature and websites, viewing DVDs, even touring one in Colorado). DS had trepidation about living so far away (many were east coast). However, I recently attended a college fair and a young ivy league school representative just Wow-ed me/my son with his ability to speak/answer questions--so articulate! He gave credit to St Paul's in MD? VA? I think there is a real value to the opportunities at fancy preps, but it would never fly with me being the biggest advocate--DS had to want it too.
Posted By: Emm Re: PSAT - 12/15/09 02:05 AM
Anyone get PSAT results back yet? Impatiently waiting, here.....
Posted By: Emm Re: PSAT - 12/15/09 04:44 AM
Waah, no word from the school. They had no classes today (finals start tomorrow) so maybe something will appear then? I just got a "teaser" email from College Board - it told me the scores would be available online in February 2010.....oh goodie. cry

DD took it on the Wednesday testing date. If I don't hear from the school by this Wednesday I'll start making some noises!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum