Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ania SAT subject tests before HS - 06/08/09 03:32 PM
Have any kids here taken subject test from the collegeboard before officially starting HS?
Posted By: KAR120C Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/08/09 04:09 PM
We might.... But it will be this time next year, so I don't know yet. smile

We're ramping up to it though -- DS is taking the ACT next weekend, the SAT in October or November (probably November), and if both of those go well I'll seriously consider the Biology subject test next June when we've finished Biology. I have a prep book and it looks reasonable... one or two things the curriculum doesn't cover as thoroughly, but nothing we can't pick up on the side.
Posted By: twomoose Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/08/09 05:41 PM
Is there any benefit to taking SAT II tests before high school? I would guess that it would not officially "count", similar to the SAT I test, right? From my observation, many colleges are using these tests as additional information for college admission, although this seems to vary widely...

Maybe it would help evaluate how well the kid learned the subject. It would be nice if they didn't have to take it twice.
Posted By: Ania Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/08/09 06:00 PM
Scores do dissapear unless you request them to be kept on file.

The best approach, in my opinion, is to take the test when relevant material has been mastered.

DS took the test this past Saturday and I have a specific question to parents whose kids were in this situation.
Posted By: cym Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/08/09 06:25 PM
I am interested in this too if anyone has information.
Posted By: KAR120C Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/08/09 07:36 PM
I'm not worried about using the scores for college admission - just as substantiation for "mommy grades" if I'm claiming that next year's Biology is high school level. Given his age, it's a claim that would need backing up with some data... But I expect before college he'd take Biology again, either AP with that test or with an outside teacher (or both), so that would be what made it onto his transcript for college. This would be more like if we put him in school, being able to advocate for an appropriate science class placement... (And actually I like that it doesn't count because you know - he could completely crash-and-burn, and it's nice to know it won't come back to haunt him!! smile )
Posted By: Lorel Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/09/09 07:49 PM
My son took a subject test this past w/e. I don't know much about it, but I am here if you want to ask your question!
Posted By: Ania Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/09/09 11:21 PM
Lorel: is your son not in HS yet?
Posted By: LilMick Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/10/09 12:46 PM
I did many years ago. It can be an asset if a younger teen wants to take college classes, especially advanced college classes, or do research at a university either during middle/high school or instead of middle/high school.
Posted By: Lorel Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/10/09 08:40 PM
Ania-

He's going into 8th.
Posted By: Ania Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/25/09 03:21 PM
Scores are in - he got 800 smile
Posted By: KAR120C Re: SAT subject tests before HS - 06/25/09 07:25 PM
WOOHOO!!! Congratulations!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum