Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ania Hurray - 03/04/09 05:06 AM
I am so happy we have this subforum.
Thank you Moderator!!!!! smile smile smile
Posted By: delbows Re: Hurray - 03/04/09 11:38 AM
This will be much easier for me to follow threads!

Mark,
Did you mean to omit an �Elementary School� category?
Thanks so much.
Posted By: jayne Re: Hurray - 03/04/09 02:29 PM
Thanks Mark! I'm excited too! I hope we can get a variety of people and experiences posted here soon. I'm looking forward to it.
Posted By: cym Re: Hurray - 03/04/09 04:54 PM
This is excellent! Thank you, Mark! Does anyone get edutopia magazine (George Lucas foundation)? The most recent issue highlighted some high schools (gorgeous facilities--I'm quick to notice that because ours are about 50 yrs old) and are for 650 students. Is there a new trend with smaller size high schools? I like 650. Ours is twice that size.
Posted By: delbows Re: Hurray - 03/04/09 05:26 PM
I also read recently that the trend is turning towards smaller high schools.

My daughter�s school is now 100 years old! (The girls whine about all the stairs, but do have nice, strong legs-which is good because they all wear rather short, plaid skirts.)

The entire student population is only 400. We love the size because dd has gotten to know the entire freshman class, as well as, many students from different grades by name already. She has had the opportunity to become involved in academic extras, such as mock trial team, that she probably wouldn�t have made until junior year at a larger school.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Hurray - 03/10/09 12:21 PM
If the trend is smaller, no one told us! Our high school is about 3500 students. I thought it was a hospital or community college when I first saw it.
Posted By: delbows Re: Hurray - 03/10/09 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
If the trend is smaller, no one told us! Our high school is about 3500 students. I thought it was a hospital or community college when I first saw it.

Our single high school (older building with multiple additions) also houses ~3500. Our citytown has two more state of the art facilities under construction. One will be a 9th grade campus and the other will be a second middle school. Each will accommodate fewer than 1000 as I understand it.
Posted By: Ania Re: Hurray - 03/10/09 02:39 PM
I like the feel of a small school and the fact that you get to know the kids and the parents. OTOH when it comes to HS bigger is sometimes better when it comes to course selection.
It is going to be a big move for our family, from a school of 500 to a school of close to 3000. Thankfully the IB is a group within the group, at least when it comes to parent communication.
Posted By: delbows Re: Hurray - 03/10/09 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
It's not our local trend either, and our state governor just suggested we condense our 500+ school districts down to just 100, crazy .

I like the size of our present school though, and our high school has about 1300-1400 students. It's "big", but I think my kids need that size to find the right peers. DD9th's peer group is almost a school within a school.

That could definitely be an advantage of a larger open admissions public school.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Hurray - 03/10/09 02:46 PM
It does seem like there's something of a "sweet spot" there--too big, and they have to start splitting off grades so they'll fit in buildings, and that's not great for GT kids and the chicken dance. Too small, and there aren't enough peers available.

Hmmm...
Posted By: delbows Re: Hurray - 03/10/09 03:58 PM
Thanks for that validation. I seem to be among the �only� here who thinks a (distant) 9th grade campus sounds like a nightmare for the gifted 9th graders, but there is very little that I find agreement with our multitude of school administrators.
I do agree that the area kids are impressive socially, athletically and intellectually, however, I think the students may carry the schools rather than the other way around.

Posted By: cym Re: Hurray - 03/11/09 06:49 PM
Current legislation proposed in my state:

schools receiving state capital funding for construction will not exceed 225/class for high school, 120/grade for middle, and 60/grade elementary.

those schools receiving at-risk money from the state must establish smaller learning communities within their schools.

I have to say I am very excited about this proposed legislation. My kids had smaller elementary and middle school environments which were great, and the big high school is really depressing. DS12 just "shadowed" yesterday at the high school and said there was nothing "fun" about it. I told him I wasn't sure high school was supposed to be fun and he countered that I've always lectured that "learning is fun"...
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Hurray - 03/11/09 09:23 PM
One of the pluses I've read about the larger high schools is that there are more bodies to have a variety of AP courses and specialty courses. Smaller schools don't have enough kids to have all the specialty courses.
Posted By: cym Re: Hurray - 03/12/09 02:24 AM
the idea is to use technology (ITV, online courses, etc.) so bigger population isn't necessary.
Posted By: tangent_line Re: Hurray - 03/17/09 04:07 PM
My DD12 shadowed at our local high school (class size 19, total school 1200). She said the kids were friendly enough but seemed dis-engaged in the classroom. No one showed any enthusiasm for what the teacher was explaining.

We are considering a private schoolif funds permit, where class size will be limited to 12, and teaching (at least the humanities) occurs around a table, where the students are face to face with each other, instead of sitting in rows and columns, kicking the backs of chairs.

I wish I could say her interest in academics will rise above the lethargy of the public school classrooms, but I can't be sure.
Posted By: cym Re: Hurray - 03/19/09 07:34 PM
I know what you mean, tangent line. The choices here are limited. I keep coming back to homeschool for high school option--though it makes me nervous. I really wish you could enroll in high school for half the day, homeschool for half.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Hurray - 03/19/09 08:52 PM
Some areas allow that, Cym. Are you sure yours doesn't?
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Hurray - 03/20/09 01:14 AM
Cym,

Half day was one of the options that were discussed for my DS. I think it is a choice of your district rather than any sort of state thing. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Posted By: cym Re: Hurray - 03/20/09 12:55 PM
I feel like I talk to a giant puppet and the only word the puppet says is "No". I'll ask at the next opportunity, but it's like going through the motions because I already know the answer--NO. Oldest DS will be a jr and he's ok. It's my rising freshman and the other ones I worry about.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum