Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
This is mostly just and update. Haven't posted much this past fall for a few reasons.

S17 is in the middle of the college app process. He is applying to 7 schools and because of his glitch in 9th grade none are elite top schools. But that's Ok because that is who is in & he made other college choice decisions because of his interests that restricted things further. He still has 2 apps to get in by early January. He took AP CS this fall and fell in love with programming, so he's applying to everywhere in CS. It's been a bit tricky since his stats are lopsided. He did great at the SAT's but his grades aren't what he'd need to get into top lottery schools.

But he does have acceptances at two schools. An in-state safety school and and OOS large university he applied to EA. Most of the rest we won't hear till March.

But it's exciting.. been on such a roller coaster with my S17 at times. It's nice to know that someone wants him.
Great news! (DD17 also has two EA acceptances that she is excited about and we are also very happy for her).
Great news! Well done to him!
Awesome news bluemagic! Congrats to your ds!!!

Congratulations!
Congrats!
This is excellent news! I know you and he have been on quite the ride, so it's nice to see the beginning of the payoff for all of those years of work.
So happy for your DS and you!
(And, since we have the same son, I'm hoping to share the same news soon!)
FlyingMouse, congratulations on your daughter's acceptances! Such exciting times smile
I can't say how happy I am for you, bluemagic. I know how hard you've worked to support your son, and it's an amazing and wonderful thing to see him finding a love and a good path forward where he will be able to pursue it.

NotherBen, here's hoping your son is also finding his way - with many thanks to a great dad.

I continue to learn from, be challenged and inspired by you two, and your sons' stories of successfully surviving high school are a huge help to mine. I'm just thrilled for both of you!
FlyingMouse congrats on your D's acceptances as well.

aeh: Yes.. but it's worth it. Despite the kid being all "I'm going to do everything myself" and get out of my hair over the past few months. This fall he told me he didn't need his 504 for English this year, he was going to handle it himself. What he doesn't realize is that having the 504.. made that teacher a lot more accommodating. He basically got himself excused from having to journal write every day. smile

And the communication I had with the teacher who's writing him a letter of rec brought tears to my eye's. This teacher had him freshman year & junior year and really saw how much my son grew and matured over the past two years. Wonderful teacher who teachers very difficult classes whom it takes a lot to impress.
Originally Posted by Platypus101
I continue to learn from, be challenged and inspired by you two, and your sons' stories of successfully surviving high school are a huge help to mine. I'm just thrilled for both of you!

I second this. Hearing from parents who have been through all of this and to read that their kids will go to college - made it through high school!!! - is so inspiring and helpful to those of us coming along behind you.
greenlotus, Playpus101

Thanks. It's not quite over yet. Still have to 1/2 the year to go even my son qualified his best acceptance with. 'Now I just have to finish H.S.' I do expect he will. I just did a little bit of a miscalculation and had him take AP Physics this year. The subject isn't difficult but it's a LOT of homework. And it's the type of homework that takes him twice the time as the other kids. At least it helped him focus that it's CS vs. Engineering he is interested in.
We will be sending you lots of happy thoughts and strength for the inevitable setbacks in the final stretch - but he knows he can do, and he wants to do, and he. will. do. it. Much joy to all of you this holiday season, who have worked so hard and helped your children grow so much.

ETA: And thank you, so much.
Aaaaannnnnd...he's in! Interesting, though: admitted to the university and to the program, but not yet to the school the program is in. He has to audition, which he will do next month. Fine arts applicants' requirements and their timing vary by school, and it's yet one more thing to keep track of. But, he's in the school and will be quite happy to major in math or CompSci, besides music.
Hooray for you and DS! Way to go! And good luck to him with the audition(s)- hope that being admitted takes some of the pressure off and he can just do his thing.
Congratulations!!!
Oh Ben - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We visited and interviewed with the professor in one area of interest the day after submitting the application. They had a good talk, they seem to be two of a kind! I think that helped his admission. And after the visit, this school went to the top of DS' list. So nice to get that Yea in before the holidays!
That's great! I am glad that he will have a familiar face in his area of interest when he arrives on campus! I'm hoping for a smooth transition for him to college.
Yay! At least two someones want him and likely many more will. Congratulations to your DS - it must be so exciting! Sometimes the struggles may end up making him a stronger college student.
DS has been auditioning all month, and they seem to be going exceptionally well. It seems to be rather unique to audition on his particular instrument, especially for his intended major, but the interviewers seem to appreciate it. And he seems to be charming the department heads. Or at least, they call him a "very interesting young man" and send him to talk to other people in the program. His on-campus visits have to counter his poor transcript, though; this has even been acknowledged by at least one interviewer.

Whatever happens, I am so happy that the kid who could be reduced to shivers at the very thought of having to talk to someone, can walk confidently into a college interview. The kid who got such stage fright just doing his music assessment in front of his band director, can play an étude in front of 6 professors, once with an accompanist he had met only 30 minutes before. As his social worker said, "he is more DS!" One more audition to go, then it's a month of waiting for more envelopes.

In another step forward, DS will actually participate in an area-wide group competition, this one for Computer Science, next week...and even remembered to give me the permission slip!
Great news! So impressive- applications and interviews are tough enough, but adding in auditions is so challenging! Really, really happy to hear things are coming together for your DS- high fives all around!
Northern Ben great news!!! I'm glad he has found a place to go next year. (Sorry I didn't see this earlier.) Are things going better this year. I hope his auditions goes well.

We are still waiting on 3 more schools. DS has so far gotten into 4 of schools he has heard from. Still waiting for my favorite. Two more weeks and then it will be decision time.
Bluemagic, I'm so glad to hear your son has so many options already! Is your favorite also his favorite?

Forgot to mention that the waitlisted school admitted him last month. It's not his top choice, doesn't have his preferred major, but still pretty selective, with excellent math and computer science programs and a very good reputation in the region.

Oh, and today even DS noted happily how the interviewing professors are supporting him to their colleagues. He doesn't have a lot of experience in his preferred major, and he says "but somehow they see something in me that they like!" Yes, my dear, yes they do. So glad you are letting them see it.

On the other hand, he has turned in zero labs this semester. Last year at this time I was introducing the concept of auditing instead of withdraw with an F; he still got a 5 and a 4 on the AP exams associated with that class. Not sure if I should pursue that this year.
Originally Posted by NotherBen
He doesn't have a lot of experience in his preferred major, and he says "but somehow they see something in me that they like!" Yes, my dear, yes they do. So glad you are letting them see it.

Trying to type "Wonderful!" but can't see through tears.
NortherBen, It's such good news to hear your son has gotten into two different schools. And that he is getting so much support from the professors he has tlaked me.

I guess he just needs to keep those grades up to the minimum he needs to graduate. I assume there is the usual must finish senior year with C's in all his classes as part of the acceptance. What would dropping a class do to his acceptances?

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum