Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cocopandan Renzulli Learning - 02/04/12 05:05 PM
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with Renzulli Learning. We're looking into possibly using it in our school to help with differentiation. Thank you in advance!

Posted By: montana Re: Renzulli Learning - 02/04/12 09:25 PM
maybe they've improved it in the last year or two, but we gave it a big thumbs-down. It was basically a giant collection of links. We'd go looking but had to sort through a lot of schlock - AND, and, our first-grader ended up on a dating site for 40-year-olds! The links aren't - or weren't - vetted for ads or age-appropriateness of the other programs linked on those pages. And a lot of the pages seemed to be things like "watch a Facebook game make puzzles out of pictures" - really low yield. I've had far better luck finding good online enrichment resources talking to parents on lists like this. As far as I know, our school has dropped the program.
Posted By: Cocopandan Re: Renzulli Learning - 02/05/12 07:43 PM
Thanks for your input, Montana.

Definitely not the news I want to hear, but more reason why it's great to hear from those who have direct experience with it. I have initiated contact with their representative. Hopefully they can show us some significant improvements since you've last used it. Otherwise, back to the drawing board ... smile

Posted By: montana Re: Renzulli Learning - 02/06/12 02:53 PM
our school ended up dropping renzuli and hiring a half computer/half enrichment teacher whose job is to run around the K-6 school and talk to the kids who need more and give teachers packets/etc for their classroom use. She doesn't have time to do a lot - esp. as she's also responsible for full-classroom enrichment for EVERYone, but she's been there two years now and I can see a difference in the quality of the homework my second son brings home in first compared to my first son's life in first. I know a half-time teacher is a lot more expensive than the Renzuli program... but it got passed in our anti-education town despite years of near-zero budgets, b/c we had about 5-6 families show up at a school board meeting to discuss the problem of the advanced kids getting nothing. I was really shocked at how few people it took to light a fire under the board - I think usually parents don't show, at least here, and they certainly don't organize and bring in signed letters and have several people speak.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum