Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
I didn't understand all of this and would have liked more detail about the research, but it still was a good read.

http://psychology-spot.blogspot.com/2016/03/did-you-know-that-intelligence-is.html?m
I saw that too, and also just read the lay article and not the original papers. My interpretation of what the article was trying to say was that two things have been suggested by some studies:
(1) Some (quantification of this not known) genes for intelligence are X-linked, which would mean boys get them from mom and girls from both parents.
(2) Some genes are imprinted (marked as from mom or dad) and maternal genes are active in the cortex of the brain where there is a lot of cognition and paternal genes are active in the limbic system which has a role in emotions.

Again, that is just my interpretation of this article, which seemed to conflate the two concepts.
I found this very interesting. I just wish the article was written better, the poor grammar made it hard to read aloud to my spouse while I gloated :P
Originally Posted by SaturnFan
I found this very interesting. I just wish the article was written better, the poor grammar made it hard to read aloud to my spouse while I gloated :P

It sounded like English wasn't the writer's first language.
this one is better written, but it's old. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB835919711841023500
Amazing... this has been around for 20 years. I want to see expanded follow-up studies! smile
Originally Posted by blackcat
this one is better written, but it's old. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB835919711841023500
Sorry, Dad. You may be responsible for your son's big nose, but all the credit for the kid's genius goes to Mom.

That, at least, is the latest thinking in genetics laboratories. Boys inherit their intelligence from their mothers, according to Gillian Turner, an Australian geneticist. She cites growing evidence that several genes for intelligence are located on the X chromosome, which men inherit only from their mothers (along with a tiny Y from their fathers). Women, in contrast, receive an X chromosome from each parent so they can theoretically inherit their father's intelligence.
There are many genes that influence intelligence, and if some are found on the X chromosome but others are found on different chromosomes, a son's intelligence will be more highly correlated to his mother's IQ than his father's, but still be correlated to the IQ of both parents.

It does seem to me that the IQs of fathers is positively correlated to those of their sons.
I really can't take the credit for my DS7's highly gifted visual spatial abilities and art talent (DH is much better in these areas), although I'll take musical talent wink grin
Originally Posted by ajinlove
I really can't take the credit for my DS7's highly gifted visual spatial abilities and art talent (DH is much better in these areas), although I'll take musical talent wink grin

I wonder if those are on different genes because I can't take credit either. All of the men on Dh's side of the family are very good w/ visual spatial ability, as well as DS, and I am not.
Both my kids have amazing directional sense and often know where we are at any given moment. They also have great number sense. It's all from their dad.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum