Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: onemom13 Boston Metro Area - 08/13/18 03:47 PM
Hello,

I am curious if anyone recommends any specific outside-of-school resources in the Boston Metro area?

I'm thinking about things like book clubs, science classes, math groups, orienteering, family activities, etc. I'm looking for spaces where kids can find friends who are also really excited about learning and where they can be engaged in learning at a level appropriate to where they are (not necessarily grouped by age).

TIA for your ideas!
Posted By: aeh Re: Boston Metro Area - 08/13/18 09:29 PM
Welcome!

I'd start with museums (science, aquaria, zoos, art, history, children's), many college-associated afterschool, weekend, or summer programs, 4H, Lego robotics clubs, afterschool programs that participate in Kangaroo Math, etc. (for some of these, search the national/international organization, and then locations near you). Museums often have children's programming, sometimes associated with homeschoolers. Your local library almost certainly has book clubs. You can also try bookstores.

Your region is highly likely to have some math afterschool tutoring places (Russian Math-type places), but those may or may not be populated with enthusiastic learners, rather than parent-driven high-achievers.

Did you have a rough age group/level in mind?
Posted By: mckinley Re: Boston Metro Area - 08/14/18 01:37 PM
Library? https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/search/index
My local library isn't too picky about age limits (except with Lego apparently) so you can sort of make your own decision about level appropriate.

Posted By: acgoldis Re: Boston Metro Area - 09/02/18 12:50 PM
If you like books check out the Boston Athenaeum. The architecture alone is worth a trip. You can visit the first floor if you're not a member.
Posted By: acgoldis Re: Boston Metro Area - 09/02/18 01:09 PM
I wouldn't mind a gathering of gifted adults in Boston.
Posted By: onemom13 Re: Boston Metro Area - 09/06/18 11:04 PM
Thank you all!

We are members of the local museums, and love them. They are great for exploring interests at your own pace. I guess what I'm looking for are other early elementary kids who would be similarly enthusiastic about learning, and programming that would be engaging. I found a local science class that we are going to try this year. There are plenty of Russian math-type organizations (I think I can walk to 3!), but I'm not convinced that's the right fit right now.

Thank you mckinley for linking to the BPL. Our local library doesn't have too much by way of kids programming for elementary aged children, but I hadn't considered BPL! We went to a trivia event and had a fantastic time! As you suggested they were flexible about age limits. We'll definitely be back.

acgoldis - we've been to the Boston Athenaeum during one of their open houses! It's beautiful, and a really peaceful space.

Thank you again!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum