Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: pdxmom2 Salt Lake City options for gifted kids? - 06/23/17 03:39 AM
My husband is being recruited for a job in Salt Lake City. We don't know anyone there and I'm having trouble decoding their talented and gifted information.

Here's the issue: My rising 8th and 4th graders currently go to an alternative school in Portland, Oregon where the curriculum is accelerated by a year in language arts and students are ability placed for math. My younger child is working one year above grade level in math and my oldest will be working 2 years above grade level in math next year. I am particularly concerned about my middle schooler, because the school is very supportive of his socioemotional needs as a gifted kid and he has a wonderful peer group for the first time there.

Does anyone know what families with gifted kids do in Salt Lake City? Is acceleration supported in the public schools? Is there a middle or high school that might offer more of an opportunity for a peer group?

All advice appreciated!

bump
Posted By: llg12j Re: Salt Lake City options for gifted kids? - 06/29/17 08:45 PM
Have you looked into Park City public schools? A few years back, my spouse worked with a number of people who relocated to the SLC area and most decided to settle there. While I can't know for sure, I suspect their children to be at least very bright, if not gifted. One or two chose Salt Lake City itself but they opted for private school. Sorry, I don't have the names of the specific schools.

Best of luck with your potential relocation.
Posted By: berbere Re: Salt Lake City options for gifted kids? - 07/19/17 11:29 PM
My 2e husband went to high school at Rowland Hall - a private, nominally religious school. He believes that he got an excellent education there, but of course that was a million years ago. It seems as if they have elementary school as well. I have no idea if private school is an option for you, but it may be worth a look.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum