Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: traceyqns Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 02:32 PM
My DS6 needs help w/run on sentences.
Maybe this comes w/age??
When he writes stories, reports etc., he keeps going and going doesn't know when to end a sentence.
Any methods or tricks on how to teach him when to stop a sentence?
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 02:38 PM
We did something with this at about that age by starting with an outline. Basically my approach was to say list your ideas, group them, put them in order, and then make each sentence about one thing.

But then I'm the queen of run-on sentences myself, so this is kind of a "do as I say, not as I do" situation... wink
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 02:53 PM
Funny Kar1200,
I am also the queem of run-on sentences.
I tried to explain them to my DS last night and gave up.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 03:05 PM
Tell him he's not allowed to use the words "And" or "But". Everytime he feels the need, put in a period instead. It's a little extreme, makes for a choppy story in some cases but if he does it a few times, he'll understand. It worked for my DS6 and he's a hardheaded little cuss!
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 03:07 PM
OH that is great!!
I am going to try it.
I did notice a lot of "ands" and "buts" in his story.
THANKS!
Posted By: Ania Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 04:35 PM
Tell him to read it aloud.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 05:22 PM
Yes, reading aloud is great for all writers, at any age or stage of expertise. I HIGHLY recommend it!
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 05:51 PM
Thanks Kriston that is true.
My DS hates to write so he flies through writing and then wants nothing more to do with it.
Funny how he doesn;t care if his writing is "perfect" but almost every other aspect of life is ruined if it is not "perfect". We had 2 meltdowns already today one being the snowman we built wasn't "perfect" soooo draining!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Austin Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 06:32 PM
Conjunction junction - whaaaats your function??

Anyone remember those little grammar skits that used to be on kid's TV?

Posted By: Kriston Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 06:52 PM
Hookin' up words and phrases and clauses...

Nope. No idea what you mean, Austin. wink :p

I bought the whole "Schoolhouse Rock!" set for my kids: math, history, grammar, etc.

Funny story: my 8th grade history teacher required that we memorize the Preamble to the Constitution, and he told us that anyone humming the tune from "Schoolhouse Rock!" out loud would fail. It was hard not to! The only thing on the test that anyone in the whole class missed was the first "of the United States of America" because it's not in the song! LOL!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 06:59 PM
I'm just a bill, yes, I'm only a bill, and I'm sitting here on capital hill............

That song implanted itself deep into my soul somewhere and laid dormant until sophomore year in college when I declared myself a political science major!

My girls seem to love Schoolhouse Rock too.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 07:09 PM
LOL, My DS4 loves school house rocks. He has been into it for quite some time. When he was two or three (I forget when exactly) he was really into counting by certain numbers...He likes that 3 is the magic number, 3, 6, 9....12, 16, 18. and what is nice is that DH and I don't mind listening to it. It's kind of fun.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 07:22 PM
Yes, I think they got some pretty talented people to write the music and lyrics. It's catchy, but not dumbed down for kids.

It's the same kind of thing that They Might Be Giants and Trout Fishing in America are doing today, I think: music for kids that adults will enjoy, too.

It's a smart move. If I can't bear to hear it (I'm talking to you, Barney the annoying purple dinosaur!), then my kids will never see/hear it. They listen, but I buy!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/02/09 10:31 PM
All of my kids love Schoolhouse Rock. And you're right Kriston, if I don't want to hear it, my kids never will. Barney is Banned!!
Posted By: thinks Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/03/09 10:10 AM
Reading his work out loud ands starting to HEAR the patterns of speech - (can be you reading his work to him, or hom to you)...when your voice drops down, it's usually time for a period/full stop.AnNY you can take a breath!! And when your voice goes UP, it's usually time for a comma. Obviously a very general rule, but learning IS all about how finding out how rules workand don't work, isn't it!
Posted By: seablue Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/03/09 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by traceyqns
My DS6 needs help w/run on sentences.
Maybe this comes w/age??
When he writes stories, reports etc., he keeps going and going doesn't know when to end a sentence.
Any methods or tricks on how to teach him when to stop a sentence?

Hey, it worked for William Faulkner. wink

Posted By: JJsMom Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/03/09 05:46 PM
I still can't get DS5 to put a space between words (unless he's on the computer). He knows that he needs to, but he always says "I don't care" when I mention spacing. Drives me batty.

Looks like DD3 will be the opposite. She likes spaces between each letter! wink

Schoolhouse Rock, well, rocks!
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Run On Sentences.... - 03/04/09 02:05 PM
LOL Austin, YES I DO REMEMBER!!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum