Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: madeinuk Challenging word problems/Singapore Maths - 04/07/13 01:35 PM
I found out about these recently on a couple of other threads and not wanting the 'hijack' them I am posting this on a new one.

Good call on the 'challenging word problems' books - they don't 'add' material to the grade level knowledge per se but they do certainly enrich it and encourage the child to think a little more deeply/flexibly into the material. Sort of like the stuff in the regular Singapore maths books is the 'warp' and the challenging words problems in these books are the 'weft'...

This exactly what I have been looking for - I continually worry whether or not my DD is learning the stuff that she has been tearing through deeply enough. These books ought to provide that yardstick.

Thanks and kudos to Tullalah and HowlerKarma for the tip on these.
Thanks for commenting! I will plan to pick some up! DS loves anything that makes him have to think. smile
thanks for the tip too, can someone help me with purchasing the correct level challenging word problem book. DD is grade 3 but working on grade 5 math. does that mean I should purchase the book 5 in the series? does anyone have the book 3, 4, or 5 and able to give me an example or two of the difficulty level
thanks
AP, they correspond to the Primary Mathematics series from Singapore-- so I'm not entirely sure how they would work in conjunction with another math curriculum. If you're using something else, I'd probably have your DD run through the placement test on Singapore's website to see where they think she's at in their sequence.

Then I'd order at that level, and maybe (depending on whether or not she seems to have gaps on that assessment) one down from there. Fortunately, they are quite inexpensive, so little risk. smile

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum