Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: GPBD Applying for DYS with Asperger's? - 04/25/12 02:40 AM
DS got 142 on his WISC (GAI). His scores were erratic, though, because he has Asperger's. His WJ scores were through the roof. We were told that his actual IQ can't possibly be lower than 150, likely 160, and to apply with a portfolio. Should we include the Asperger's diagnosis or not? One psych said it may help (maxed out two verbal tests and bombed two others), but another psych said it may hurt his chances. I don't know.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Applying for DYS with Asperger's? - 04/25/12 02:53 AM
I think it's ridiculous that a psychologist told you it would hurt his chances of admission. As a non-psychologist layperson who's not affiliated with Davidson, I can still obviously tell that that's hogwash. Ignore it. The only question is whether it will help; I guess it might help to explain the bombed subtests.
Posted By: Mam Re: Applying for DYS with Asperger's? - 04/25/12 03:29 AM
I imagine you have read through the application form (below). The answer might (or not) be there. I personally would include that information.

I  HAVE  HAVE NOT consulted a psychologist or psychiatrist with regard to any form of inappropriate behavior or
other psychological problems with respect to my child/adolescent.
If you indicated “have,” a complete copy of any and all psychological reports, signed by the psychologist or
psychiatrist, must be submitted to the Institute as attachments to this application.
 By checking this box and submitting this Davidson Young Scholars Application I attest that to the best of my
knowledge all of the information stated herein is accurate and true and does not omit any material information.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Applying for DYS with Asperger's? - 04/25/12 08:54 AM
I would include the reports you have. What keeps a kid out is if they seen likely to hurt the other children. I can imagine that a history of fighting physically with peers beyond preschool age would keep some spectrum kids and some NT kids out. There are many DYS kid who do have Asperger's.

Best Wishes...Please try and get the app in honestly and quickly.
Love and more love
Grinity
Posted By: GPBD Re: Applying for DYS with Asperger's? - 04/25/12 01:13 PM
Thanks! He's definitely not the physical type. Quite the opposite, actually. LOL!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum