Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: M&Ms Mom IQ results - 01/13/12 09:40 PM
We met with our psychologist to review DS10 test results:

Full Scale 155
Verbal 134
Nonverbal 162

His composite on the Explore was 19 and DYS wants 20. Should we apply?
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: IQ results - 01/13/12 10:37 PM
What IQ test was he given and do the rest of his EXPLORE scores qualify?

For instance, if those scores were on the SB-5 and he had two or three subtests on the EXPLORE that were at their cut-point or, even better, above and one that was really low in comparison and dragged down the composite, I might consider applying.

eta: In looking @ the DYS criteria, I'm guessing that your ds is maybe on the younger end for grade since a composite of 20 is for 5th graders and he's 10. If he's a younger 10 y/o, I'd think that might help your case although that could just be me guessing.
Posted By: Grinity Re: IQ results - 01/14/12 01:42 AM
Do apply. Expect them to ask for more info - once the app is in, start gathering a portfolio

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: M&Ms Mom Re: IQ results - 01/14/12 05:49 PM
DS10 will be 11 on Monday and is in a 5/6 School Within a School.

The test he took was the DAS II, which I don't know much about but it is one of the ones used by DA/DYS with the 145 requirement. His tester is one of the consultants for the Academy and said DS would enjoy the Summit. Does anyone have the scoop on the Summit?
Posted By: Iucounu Re: IQ results - 01/14/12 06:44 PM
I think you should apply. Like Grinity said, the worst that can happen is that they ask for more info, and then you can just supplement with whatever they ask for.

Note that the DYS rules are not set in stone. I have noticed in my reading that even with qualifying IQ and achievement test scores, if both are at or near the cutoff, Davidson sometimes asks for more information. On the other hand, they've accepted at least one candidate in the past on portfolio alone. Maybe the IQ test scores, which are on the high side even for DYS acceptees, will help to mitigate the slightly low achievement score, and he'll be accepted without a portfolio. Hence I certainly wouldn't delay to get a portfolio together.

On the other hand, you may already have some things which would work as portfolio items, in which case you can save time by sending the portfolio with the initial application. This page has info on some portfolio items that have worked in the past. Note that it really wouldn't take long to get some of the listed items together, especially videos of your child talking about his areas of interest.
Posted By: Grinity Re: IQ results - 01/18/12 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by M&Ms Mom
Does anyone have the scoop on the Summit?
The YS program organizes a chance for children in the YS program and a parent (or two) to attend a 3 day conference that very often tends to be satisfying both intellectually and socially for both the parent(s) and the child. Individual YS families also organize more local get togethers for the kids to hang out and play together. I've found that I learn tons from talking to the other parents as well as observing my son in a totally different environment. I get to see a side of him that isn't readily availible otherwise.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: M&Ms Mom Re: IQ results - 02/17/12 03:46 AM
Thanks for the info. Iucounu - the guidelines on the Wiki Gifted site were helpful.

We ended up applying to DYS on January 31st and got the acceptance letter yesterday!

This is what we used for DS11:

DAS II score (ended up with GCA of 156)

Portfolio - included letter from EPGY math tutor, book reports on Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels, Journey to the Center of the Earth and a written project that had him taking a road trip , driving from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine (diary each day, descriptions of monuments visited, financial info, etc.)

Posted By: Grinity Re: IQ results - 02/17/12 03:55 AM
Glad to hear the good news!
Posted By: La Texican Re: IQ results - 02/17/12 04:15 AM
Congratulations m&m!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: IQ results - 02/17/12 01:29 PM
congrats!
Posted By: Iucounu Re: IQ results - 02/17/12 02:19 PM
Great news! I hope you get lots of benefit from the program.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum