Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: utkallie DYS for Preschoolers - 09/29/11 02:03 PM
I'm confused. Genius Denied says DYS starts at 4, but their website says 5. Are there exceptions? DD will not be 4 for a couple more months but she has the scores and I could make her a portfolio based on the things she has done not only with me but also with her therapists.
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS for Preschoolers - 09/29/11 02:58 PM
Over the years they have changed the program. You can start working on the application... Not sure how they take the test scores of somebody not even 4 though, the IQ tests (at least I know of the WPPSI) are shorter and provide less information, and achievement tests tend to be more inflated the younger they are.

What I would do is to document what she does and keep supporting her.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: DYS for Preschoolers - 09/29/11 03:00 PM
i thought it was 4 and i started the process when DS was 4.5 but never followed through until he was 8 so I can't say for sure. He's 10 now so that was a while ago!

I'd go by the website. Also, unless you need help advocating right now you can probably wait a year.
Posted By: Jtjt Re: DYS for Preschoolers - 09/29/11 03:54 PM
Not to put out misinformation but I thought they had to be 5, and I assumed the test scores had to be done at 5 also.
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: DYS for Preschoolers - 09/29/11 04:05 PM
From what I understand when they started the program it started at age 4. I think it was 2008 or 2009 when they changed it to start at age 5.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum