Reading Fluency 146
Calculation 150
Math Fluency 112
Spelling 137
Writing Fluency 116
Passage Comprehension 161
Applied Problems 150
Word Attack 145

Thats it! Any insight? I have a meeting with the school tomorrow to dicsuss either modifying his cirruculum or possible a grade skip to 2nd.. Is there anything in these scores that suggests not requesting this?
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/16/11 11:30 PM
get your application going for DYS!
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/16/11 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
get your application going for DYS!

Sent about 15 minutes ago grin
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/16/11 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by kcab
Originally Posted by Jtjt
I have a meeting with the school tomorrow to dicsuss either modifying his cirruculum or possible a grade skip to 2nd.. Is there anything in these scores that suggests not requesting this?
ha,ha... no. laugh Though lower, the processing speed is fine, that can reflect taking care on the test instead of racing through - not a bad thing. Ought to be an interesting meeting.

In the report the tester says that several times during the test he asked he to be quiet as he was trying to concentrate. The tester also stated that my son made remarks as to not wanting to get the answer wrong so he had to think about it. I think this would account for the lower processing speed. I can definately speak from experience here, lol. Having a 6 year old perfectionist is not a blessing!
Posted By: Percy Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 12:19 AM
I am not a testing expert but I think he hit the ceiling in 4 of the WISC subtests - did the tester consider extended norms? His scores could actually be higher than what is reported.

I know you have previously posted about being reluctant to a skip because of social/size issues with your DS, but I think that is a good place to start and then push for further subject acceleration. My DS - his WISC scores were 143FSIQ/155GAI - did a mid year 1st/2nd skip and he was still really bored. He is older for his grade and although he is not huge he was not the smallest person in 2nd grade. Also, his handwriting is legible, but he is super slow so they sometimes scribed for him in language arts. I am just relating this to some of your previous posts so that you have the idea that some additional adjustments should/could be made if the school is willing to do them.

Good luck.

Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 12:54 AM
I just wanted to thank you all so much for helping me! This is new territory and it helps so much to have people guiding me through! He is our oldest, so we have never been down this road before. We always knew he was gifted, we just didn't know how gifted. Being the oldest we had nothing to really compare him to. His little brother has the same intelligence however his personality allows for imagination and sillyness, which is awesome! Their sister, she is a different story smile
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 02:01 AM
Ditto with what kcab said smile
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 01:25 PM
I called to see if they could use extended scoring on the WISC. I left a voicemail. We will see smile
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 06:02 PM
Easiest meeting ever. The principal looked at his scores and talked with him. Then SHE suggested a grade skip. It's done! Now I just hope it's the right decision.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 06:06 PM
Yay! Glad that went well. Wishing your son a good year!
Posted By: triplejmom Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 06:14 PM
Glad it went so well!! It sounds like he is in a great school, which is crucial! Good luck to your son this year!
Posted By: Pru Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 06:50 PM
Awesome scores and wonderful news. It's good to be reminded that it can and does go well sometimes with schools.

I wouldn't say the WISC-IV measured him; I'd say he measured it, and after calculating the distance between his glove and its jaw, sent it to the canvas four times. The ref should have stopped the fight. wink
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Pru
Awesome scores and wonderful news. It's good to be reminded that it can and does go well sometimes with schools.

I wouldn't say the WISC-IV measured him; I'd say he measured it, and after calculating the distance between his glove and its jaw, sent it to the canvas four times. The ref should have stopped the fight. wink

Thank you for making me laugh!!! My stomach has been in knots all day. I needed that!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pru
The ref should have stopped the fight. wink
Yup - but I'm glad that they didn't!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/17/11 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jtjt
Easiest meeting ever. The principal looked at his scores and talked with him. Then SHE suggested a grade skip. It's done! Now I just hope it's the right decision.
Awesome news. Remember that
a) no decision, including gradeskips, is without it's drawbacks
b) Flexibility is king - this is likely the first of many small adjustments that will need to be made to the regular school path. Each adjustment will make things better, but be prepared that this may be more of a first step than a final answer.

((shrugs and more shrugs))
Grinity
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/22/11 11:48 PM
Just an update. He had his first day of second grade today. He absolutely loved it! He even made a few friends. He said all if the kids were extremely friendly. I can't believe how against doing a grade skip I was two short weeks ago. I know there will be positives and negatives with this decision, but I am beyond thrilled that his first day was positive.
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/23/11 12:47 AM
Fantastic news!
Posted By: triplejmom Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/23/11 01:09 AM
That is great to hear!
Posted By: aculady Re: Complete testing scores back - 08/23/11 02:53 AM
Awesome!
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Complete testing scores back - 09/08/11 10:58 PM
So a quick update. I requested the psychologist to recalculate the WISC IV using the extended scoring. I am getting slightly frustrated because it has been three weeks and I left a message both this week and last and I have not gotten even a return call.

DS6 is doing so wonderful in second grade. Today I was in his classroom for about 10 minutes, and all my fears about him not fitting in vanished. It was just awesome, plain and simple. He DOES have firends, the older kids DO like him, and he even has a "girlfriend" Sigh....

Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Complete testing scores back - 09/08/11 11:22 PM
Sorry about no response from the psychologist. Maybe he/she is on vacation? Still, very unprofessional.

But it's wonderful news that your DS is fitting in so well after the skip! Yay!
Posted By: aculady Re: Complete testing scores back - 09/09/11 01:26 AM
Wonderful news!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum