Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: susandj May DYS - 05/26/11 01:18 PM
We got the email notification late yesterday that DS5 was accepted to DYS. :-) Looking forward to hearing from others in his "class"... Good luck to all who are still waiting to hear.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 01:24 PM
congrats Susan!
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 01:26 PM
Awesome!! I haven't gotten anything yet. DW is away... now I'm wondering if she got anything.
Posted By: Cocopandan Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 03:07 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: lucky_mom Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 03:12 PM
OK. So, how do they notify if someone doesn't get in? Email?
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 03:24 PM
You just never hear back.

Kidding.
Posted By: Grinity Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by lucky_mom
OK. So, how do they notify if someone doesn't get in? Email?
Very often they will say that they need more information, and I know some folks in DYS who were accepted after that. They aren't 'just being nice' they really mean it.
Posted By: Jrl Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 04:25 PM
Congrats to Susan.

I have been much more lurker than poster since discovering these forums a few months back.

We submitted May applications for both DD5 and DD7. I've been able to put the timing of the response pretty much out of mind, as having a newborn in the house provides a constant source of distraction.

Out of mind, of course, only until I saw this thread.

We haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know if notifications come out in batches in a single day, or roll out over the course of a few days?
Posted By: menlomom74 Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 04:34 PM
Let's keep the hope alive...LOL!..well at least until tomorrow..

I'm still waiting too here...
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jrl
Does anyone know if notifications come out in batches in a single day, or roll out over the course of a few days?

I'm not sure, but we submitted just based on test scores, no portfolio. My suspicion is that portfolio submissions are more subjective, so they probably take more time to come out?

Good luck to everyone. I hope we have a big "class" this month!
Posted By: herenow Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Iucounu
You just never hear back.

Kidding.

OMG. I don't even have an application in and my heart just dropped reading your reply! Too funny.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by susandj
My suspicion is that portfolio submissions are more subjective, so they probably take more time to come out?

I dunno. We submitted on scores, and haven't heard anything yet. Of course, we might have already received something... this is killing me.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by herenow
OMG. I don't even have an application in and my heart just dropped reading your reply! Too funny.

Cardiac stress tests provided free of charge.
Posted By: Helenjhq Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:11 PM
Susandj, when did you submit your application package? We submitted on April 29th. Nothing yet.
Posted By: Jrl Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:16 PM
Ours were scores only as well. Perhaps its more related to the order of submission. (If so, we should here sometime next week).

I orginally was targeting getting the application together in time for application in June. But then I finished it in late May so decided to submit it. Recommendation forms from our teacher were submitted right at the deadline. If there is someone in the May applicant pool who completed the application after we did, I would be surprised.
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by susandj
My suspicion is that portfolio submissions are more subjective, so they probably take more time to come out?

I dunno. We submitted on scores, and haven't heard anything yet. Of course, we might have already received something... this is killing me.

OK, so maybe not. Maybe different reviewers finish at different times. Dunno. It's a bit of a big black box. I sort of assumed they would send them all at the same time, but I guess not.
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jrl
But then I finished it in late May so decided to submit it. Recommendation forms from our teacher were submitted right at the deadline.

Jrl -- The "May DYS" refers to the decision month, not the month that the application went in. Did you submit in May (i.e. recently) or in late April? If in May, you should hear in late June; if in April, you should hear by the end of May.
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Helenjhq
Susandj, when did you submit your application package? We submitted on April 29th. Nothing yet.

Hmm. April 30th at 11:45 pm, to be honest. Procrastination has always been the monkey on my back.
Posted By: lucky_mom Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:26 PM
WooHoo!!!!! We just got our acceptance a few minutes ago via email!! What a relief. (Lots of waterworks on this end.)
Posted By: Helenjhq Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:30 PM
congratulation! LuckyMom
Posted By: Jrl Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:32 PM
Thanks. Confusing my dates -- did I mention the newborn in the house -- not enough sleep to go around in these parts.

We got the confirmation we were complete on May 3rd, for evaluation in the May group.

I think the teacher application was sent in late on Sunday, May 1.
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:36 PM
Congratulations, lucky mom! How old is your little scholar? My son is 5 (almost 6).
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:38 PM
Congratulations, lucky_mom!!! I couldn't be any happier for you. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that could make me happier right now.
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:40 PM
Awesome!! I haven't gotten anything yet. DW is away... now I'm wondering if she got anything.

Did you give them both email addresses? My husband and I both received the email individually...
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:42 PM
I don't have the application with me. I don't remember. This is literally going to wind up killing me.
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:48 PM
I don't have the application with me. I don't remember. This is literally going to wind up killing me.

Well, I certainly hope that's not true!! Remember, this too shall pass.
Posted By: menlomom74 Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:53 PM
I can't believe what just see in the email like seconds ago.

My DD10 is accepted to the program!!!

I applied last year but declined with only IQ scores and achievement test scores but they asked me to re-apply with portfolios within 6 months. Fell short on achievement test scores.
So I started to collect as much as I can within a year for her portfolios and re-apply in May.
I couldn't be happier...
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jrl
We got the confirmation we were complete on May 3rd, for evaluation in the May group.

I think the teacher application was sent in late on Sunday, May 1.

Then you are probably right about being the last one in -- I thought my 11:45 pm on 4/30 was late. I'm glad that they didn't hold the Sunday, May 1st part against you!
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 05:56 PM
Congratulations, menlomom! I knew the portfolio thing would work for you!! Great news.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 07:03 PM
Phew, we got in!
Posted By: menlomom74 Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 07:09 PM
Yay!!! Congrats lucounu!!!
Posted By: Jrl Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 07:13 PM
Just got the email for DS, who was accepted! Now waiting on answer for DD . . . . .

Congrats to all.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 07:13 PM
menlomom74, thank you!!! (And same to you! I wasn't trying to be rude.) I've got to lower my stress level. I've got heart palpitations from this.

Well, for now it's back to work (or rather "to work"). Good luck to Jrl, Helenjhq, and any lurkers. I'll check back later.

ETA: Congrats to you too, Jrl!!! Good luck with DD!
Posted By: Grinity Re: May DYS - 05/26/11 07:26 PM
Welcome and congratulations to all who got and will get 'yes' today.

((hugs)) for the ones who got/get the 'not yet' or 'no.'

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Catalana Re: May DYS - 05/27/11 12:11 AM
Congratulations to everyone!
Posted By: susandj Re: May DYS - 05/27/11 03:45 AM
Great news! Lots of kids this month -- nice to see. Good luck to those still waiting, and sorry for anyone who didn't make it this time.
Posted By: LDmom Re: May DYS - 05/27/11 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by Grinity
Welcome and congratulations to all who got and will get 'yes' today. ((hugs)) for the ones who got/get the 'not yet' or 'no.'

My thoughts exactly. Congrats everyone! And hang in there to the rest!
Posted By: Jrl Re: May DYS - 05/27/11 08:22 PM
One for two. Got the note that DD's appliction needs some supplemental information on the achievement test. Truth be told, I couldn't have told you there was anything different between what I sent for her versus her brother. But sure enough.

I'm not sure how all these subtests roll into the broader score (which is what is missing from DD's report), but if Rolle's theorom applies, I'm optimistic DD will soon join her brother.

Anyway, I shared the news with DS last night, he was quite pleased with himself. There is a DYS in the class above him at his school that DS very much looks up to. Explained in the abstract, the fact that he was accepted meant little to him. Explained that he would be part of the same group as this older girl, he was beaming. Very nice.
Posted By: Grinity Re: May DYS - 05/27/11 08:37 PM
The eternal question - what to tell the children?

In general, I don't advise telling kids that they have been accepted into DYS until there is some concrete need for them to know, or at least a concrete event to attend, or some change in their life that springs from this identification.

I don't mean this as criticism Jrl - it sounds like your son is very much in need of knowing that he isn't all alone, and that he has a very concrete way to understand DYS - it's what his older role model belongs to!

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: Jrl Re: May DYS - 06/08/11 05:38 PM
Dottie -- just now seeing this thread again after being out of town. Thanks for the thoughts.

You are correct that DS is the older one. We had submitted WJ-III results for both DS and DD, as those are used by their school and were readily available.

For each child, the WJ-III Cog report was in a form acceptable to DYS. But the WH-III Ach reports were formatted differently. DS's included subtests and the calculated broad scores. DD's included the subtest results but not the broad score calculation.

The examiner was able to reissue the report for DD, revised to include calculation of broad scores. I still don't follow the manner in which the sub-test roll up into the larger number, but not matter. Her results included 162 for broad math and 177 for broad written language, which will hopefully give DYS what they need. I just submitted the reformated report this morning.

Any idea if we are in for another month of waiting? Or are supplemental materials evaluated on a different timeline from whole applications?
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum