Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bostonian EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/15/11 02:04 PM
I had my son (currently in 3rd grade) try the sample EXPLORE questions available at http://www.actstudent.org/explore/tests/index.html and wonder what the scaled score equivalents are for various raw scores. I understand that the raw-to-scaled conversion will differ for each version of the test .

On the various sections, my son scored
9/10 math
6/10 English
5/10 reading
13/15 Science

Of course, to get a real set of EXPLORE scores I need to have him take the full test. This is inconvenient in Massachusetts, but it can be arranged through a talent search such as the Belin-Blank.

Posted By: NJMom Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/15/11 02:13 PM
Honestly, I don't think that you can use the sample questions to tell you what your DS's scores would be on the actual EXPLORE. Perhaps someone can give you an idea of the conversion, but I don't think it would be particularly meaningful. It's just not a large enough sample of questions. In addition, part of the challenge for many kids is pacing and having the stamina to get through 2+ hours of the test.

Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance, but why not have your DS take the EXPLORE for real? I arranged testing through Belin-Blank and it was not that onerous. Not only will you satisfy your curiosity, but you'll have actual scores that might be of some help with school advocacy.

Posted By: MagnaSky Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/15/11 03:20 PM
My son said that the sample questions were easier then the questions on the test. That of course is very subjective, but I have heard others say that as well.
Posted By: herenow Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/15/11 04:30 PM
ditto MagnaSky
Posted By: kimck Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/15/11 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by MagnaSky
My son said that the sample questions were easier then the questions on the test. That of course is very subjective, but I have heard others say that as well.

My child said the same.
Posted By: LDmom Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/16/11 02:30 AM
Mine said the same! And I second the opinion about Belin Blank. Very easy process! Good luck!
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/16/11 10:27 PM
My girls both thought that the sample questions were much easier as well. They didn't go through all of the sample questions, though, so they may not be the best judges.
Posted By: herenow Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/16/11 10:32 PM
BTW and FYI we purchased a book of Explore Questions to get a handle on the test. Those questions were SO much harder than the exam. Especially the science section. Waste of $$.
Posted By: Catalana Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 05/16/11 11:55 PM
Agree with everyone above. My child's scores on the practice questions definitely did not seem to have any real correlation to how said child did on the actual Explore test.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: EXPLORE scaled scores from raw scores - 06/24/11 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Bostonian
On the various sections, my son scored
9/10 math
6/10 English
5/10 reading
13/15 Science

I had my son take the EXPLORE through Belin Blank, and his scores were

24 Math
17 English
18 Reading
23 Science
21 Composite

The rank ordering is similar to that of the %correct on the sample questions. It's silly to do a regression with 4 observations, but I'll go ahead:

Explore_subtest_scaled_score = 0.17 * %correct_sample_questions + 8.42 + error

with both regression coefficients having t-stats exceeding 2. With this regression the predicted Explore scores would have been

23.6 Math
18.5 English
16.9 Reading
23.0 Science .
20.5 Composite
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum