Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: vennela COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 05:08 PM
My daughter (6) took the COAGAT and MAP testing in her 1st grade . The results came out this week .

COGAT 91 percentile

MAP Reading RIT 179

MAP Math 189

Do you suggest that she goes for an enrichment program like KUMON or are the scores O.K

Last year my son took the same tests and he got 99 percentile so we did not enroll him in an enrichment course . But my daughter's scores came out different . So I would like your suggestions and advice
Posted By: jack'smom Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 05:19 PM
Kumon is not an "enrichment" program. It's an after school cram program- many "Tiger moms" use it to boost their kids' scores.
Posted By: vennela Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 05:44 PM
So for the above score do you recommend any additional programs or are the scores O.K for a first grader.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 06:04 PM
spring map 1st grade
reading 179 is 72 percentile
math 189 is 84 percentile

Posted By: Iucounu Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by vennela
So for the above score do you recommend any additional programs or are the scores O.K for a first grader.

The link to MAP math percentile charts from this thread shows that the math score is in the 83rd-85th percentile. Is that a problem for you? Re: after-school programs, Kumon seems like a lot of boring drill to me, but I've only seen some of their workbooks.

ETA: Please read the "Is that a problem" language above as a simple question about whether that percentile is out of line for the specific kid, etc.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 06:22 PM
Are there programs for which she won't qualify with her current scores? That would be the only reason I'd see to try to supplement some in the hopes of getting the MAPS scores up. Those are still good scores and keep in mind that they aren't set in stone. Kids can and do fluctuate on even ability tests like the CogAT over time.
Posted By: vennela Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 07:07 PM
Yes these scores are used for selecting kids for Gifted and Talented programs . My son got a composite score of 99 and got selected for GT last year .

For my daughter I am not putting pressure on her that she should get in to GT but would like to give any help needed for her success .

I am not trying to be a tiger mom but to be a helpful mom . Her reasoning abilities score was very high and when it came to language usage that is where her scores went low .
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 07:13 PM
FWIW, group tests of this sort don't catch all gifted kids. My youngest wouldn't have qualified for GT programming with her CogAT scores although her WISC-IV (IQ scores) more than qualified. Non-verbal was her highest area on the CogAT as well.

I guess what I'd be thinking about is -- does she need GT programming? If you think that the CogAT and MAPS are an underestimation of your dd's aptitude or that she isn't getting her needs met in the std classroom, that would be when I'd be looking into it further.

My dd is a very out of the box thinker and has ADD. Those also don't help on a multiple choice test. Again, if something else is standing in the way of your dd having shown what she can do on a test of this sort, I might look further.

If not on both fronts, I would probably not worry much about it at this point.
Posted By: vennela Re: COGAT and MAP testing - 05/05/11 07:55 PM
Thank you cricket2 .
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum