Congrats!
Posted By: E Mama Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 04:51 PM
Congratulations! : )
Posted By: Grinity Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:03 PM
Yes!
Posted By: Catalana Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:11 PM
Got the email this am. DS9 too smile
Posted By: Cocopandan Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:14 PM
Thank you! And congratulations to your DS, Catalana!
Posted By: LDmom Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:22 PM
Congrats Cocopandan and Catalana! DS8 got in too. We're very pleasantly surprised as we submitted only achievement scores and a portfolio. Really thought they'd ask for more info.
Posted By: nkh74 Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:31 PM
Congratulations to all of you!!
Posted By: AZgirasol Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:32 PM
Congratulations!

What did you include for a portfolio?
Posted By: herenow Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:36 PM
Excellent news! Congratulations!! Where is the "like" button smile

You've given some impetus to my filling out that neglected application on the corner of my desk!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 05:56 PM
I am curious as well.. what did you submit for the portfolio?

Congrats to all that have made it in this month
Posted By: Iucounu Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 06:05 PM
Congrats Cocopandan, Catalana and LDMom!
Posted By: LDmom Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 06:12 PM
My humble thanks for the congratulations messages!

Originally Posted by AZgirasol
What did you include for a portfolio?

AZgirasol, here's my little epic for whatever it's worth!

Apart from notes of achievement and milestones in the application form, I also wrote a short essay on his milestones and how I struggle to challenge him academically and parent him emotionally and find social peers. I also wrote about how he has exceeded my ability to teach science although he doesn't write anything down for science.

For work samples, it was tough because he didn't write a lot before age 6. So I chose mostly his math work samples and math doodles.

The doodles included a graph he sketched based on some observations he made about number patterns. Many of his math doodles weren't dated so I gave them a range of possible dates for the samples, choosing some he did at 6, 7 and more recently at 8. For math homework, he works at an 8th grade level formally at home so I included copies of pages of the textbook he uses for math with the answers he wrote and his scratch paper for working out the problems so that they may easily refer to what problems he's working on.

I also included a video of him giving a presentation to a group of his friends and their parents about stress levels and enzymes that may cause stress (just a short 5-min video, and he made some simple slides to go with it). In the video, a parent engages him in a short q&a and he answers quite confidently (although perhaps not accurately). I think that this verbal ability snapshot via video may have helped most.

For achievement, I sent copies of his Explore scores and the report available online from Belin Blank.
Posted By: Catalana Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 07:53 PM
Congrats to you both too!

I posted on the other thread about what we included. I really really worried about it, but finally took Grinity's advice and just pulled together was I could (we cut it close, I had to overnight it to get it there by the deadline).

Good luck.
Posted By: MidwestMom Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 09:04 PM
Congrats!
Posted By: DrinkMoreWater Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 10:12 PM
DS (5.5) got accepted yesterday too. Just what we needed after a terrible meeting in the afternoon with his kindergarten teacher and principal smile
Posted By: LDmom Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 10:34 PM
Congrats Drink!
Posted By: LDmom Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Catalana
I really really worried about it, but finally took Grinity's advice and just pulled together was I could

Hear, hear! Grinity and Dottie, I'm just so grateful for the both of you. Thanks so much for all you do on this board!
Posted By: kaibab Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 10:48 PM
Congratulations to everyone.

And sorry about the bad meetings with principals and teachers. BTDT. Have the scars.

Posted By: Cocopandan Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 11:09 PM
For the portfolio, I only included one part of his science project. It was a solar system jeopardy done on Power Point. He was quite bumped about it because nobody in his class knew the answers (neither did I smile. Another one is a 2-page doodle that contains what he knew about the solar system. He did it at school as part of the post-test.

I didn't include anything math in the portfolio, but mentioned that he's currently working on AOPS Intro to Algebra.
Posted By: DeHe Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 11:24 PM
That's terrific, ld, drink and cat, congrats to you for doing the app and hope your dc's enjoy the opportunities!

Originally Posted by Cocopandan
For the portfolio, I only included one part of his science project. It was a solar system jeopardy done on Power Point. He was quite bumped about it because nobody in his class knew the answers

Cocopandan
I can sympathize, my DS is also space obsessed and frequently disappointed that most aren't! He would have loved the space game smile

DeHe
Posted By: Cocopandan Re: April DYS - 04/28/11 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by LDmom
[quote=Catalana]I really really worried about it, but finally took Grinity's advice and just pulled together was I could/quote]

Hear, hear! Grinity and Dottie, I'm just so grateful for the both of you. Thanks so much for all you do on this board!

I second that! What will we do without Grinity and Dottie?
Posted By: Grinity Re: April DYS - 04/29/11 02:45 AM
Oh Catalana, LDMom, and Cocopandan -
I just didn't have the slightest clue about DS's giftedness until he was 8 when we joined YSP. He's 14 now and doing well, but I still feel both ashamed and resentful that I didn't do more for him earlier.

I figure if I can help 100,200 or 300 kids grow up happier than that is up to 300 more adults he'll be able to enjoy that much more as co-workers, bosses, or even a spouse! In our tiny world, and extra 300 who know and like themselves as they are from a very young age makes a big difference. Each child has unique needs, so that means that there are 300 families who need support to make the very best possible (or least-worst possible) decisions. If I can support you so you can support your kiddos, then I feel it's a wonderful investment of my time, and about the most I can do- if indirectly - for my son.

Plus it's so much fun!
Grinity
Posted By: tao Re: April DYS - 05/28/11 12:52 AM
i'm new. what does DS10 stand for? thanks.
Posted By: aculady Re: April DYS - 05/28/11 01:24 AM
DS10 = Dear Son, age 10

Try this post for list of common acronyms and abbreviations.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum