Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Robin H Should we apply for DYS with these scores? - 09/29/10 04:35 AM
DS 6y3m
Wondering if they'd consider him for DYS:

WISC-IV:
VCI: 138
PRI: 129
WMI: 123
PSI: 97
FSIQ 130 (confidence interval 124-134)
GAI 140 (confidence interval 134-146)

Woodcock-Johnson III Achievement:
Broad Reading: 146
Broad Math: 152
Academic Skills: 168

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Wren Re: Should we apply for DYS with these scores? - 09/29/10 03:24 PM

How low will DYS go on FSIQ with supporting portfolio? Anyone have a story to tell on this?
Posted By: Lorel Re: Should we apply for DYS with these scores? - 09/29/10 09:56 PM
I'm just a parnet and cannot speak for the YS program, but I believe that they stick to the minimum requirements as noted on the DYS application FAQ. As far as I know, they do not accept lower scores, even with an exceptional portfolio.
Originally Posted by Lorel
I'm just a parnet and cannot speak for the YS program, but I believe that they stick to the minimum requirements as noted on the DYS application FAQ. As far as I know, they do not accept lower scores, even with an exceptional portfolio.
That was my understanding as well. I thought that the portfolio option was for kids who had achievement scores that qualified, for instance, but hadn't been tested on IQ at all due to cost not for kids with scores that didn't qualify otherwise. That's not to say that the OP's child might not qualify if retested on IQ at a later date, though.
Thank you for the replies. To answer the questions, here's the breakdown on the WJ

Letter-Word ID: 165
Reading Fluency: 144
Calculation: 146
Math Fluency: 135

Spelling: 170
Writing Fluency: 119
Passage Comprehension: 139
Applied Problems: 150
BROAD READING: 146
BROAD MATH: 152
ACADEMIC SKILLS 168
ACADEMIC FLUENCY 142
Posted By: MAE Re: Should we apply for DYS with these scores? - 09/29/10 11:39 PM
The qualification criteria web page is somewhat ambiguous on the portfolio option. At the top it clearly states that you need two out of the three criteria, IQ, AT, or portfolio, with no mention of which two are preferred. This would indicate that the portfolio option may be utilized regardless of financial considerations. Yet at the bottom of the page there is a line which states, "If you cannot access testing due to financial constraints, you may submit a portfolio of work samples in place of testing." Would that mean that a portfolio can be used in lieu of any testing due to financial constraints? Or was that line accidentally left in when the site was updated with the 2-out-of-three criteria? Regardless, in your case with a qualifying WJ you might want to get clarification from the DI whether you can use AT and portfolio as your qualifying options, they are great at getting back with you.
Applying is free... no harm in trying! smile

Posted By: Lorel Re: Should we apply for DYS with these scores? - 10/02/10 07:54 PM
Are you a "parnet" too? LOL, I have to get better at proofing my typing.
Posted By: Lorel Re: Should we apply for DYS with these scores? - 10/02/10 07:58 PM
I was told that we needed at least one qualifying test along with a portfolio. My youngest child's application was made via one test and a portfolio. She's my 4th DYS, so if there was a way to apply without going to the trouble of testing, I would have jumped on it. She became a YS earlier this year.
Originally Posted by Lorel
I was told that we needed at least one qualifying test along with a portfolio. My youngest child's application was made via one test and a portfolio. She's my 4th DYS, so if there was a way to apply without going to the trouble of testing, I would have jumped on it. She became a YS earlier this year.
Did you apply with just the achievement test scores and no IQ? Were you left with the impression that they would take an application like that if the child had the IQ piece but it wasn't high enough?
great question, Cricket2. Anyone know the answer?
Also, I do wonder what a "portfolio" looks like. Hmmmm. He did win the State Chess Championship, Kindergarten Division, in April. I wonder if including that is what they mean by portfolio, or do they mean actual written work?
Robin, there are places on the application for awards and competitions. I think for the portfolio they are looking for original work produced by the child, but it could be just about anything that shows their talent. It doesn't have to be written, it could be a video of a performance for instance.
robin= Include the Chess and when he started playing. I know DYS considers Chess important. Talk about how he learned like obsessively, quickly, or a video. good luck.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum