Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kate Is this a moot point? - 07/23/10 05:37 PM
We just got DS7's WISC IV results and 2 subtests scored 19. Both his PRI and GAI were 147. No extended norms were done. Should they have been? Or is the point moot and valuable only for curiosity's sake?

FYI: The purpose of the testing was to document that DS IS as smart as we think he is after the assistant principal at the gifted school (where is already admitted) said maybe he is not! Sort of extra ammunition in case we run into trouble when starting the new school next month...

Nan
Posted By: Grinity Re: Is this a moot point? - 07/23/10 07:23 PM
Great question - I wish I knew. Personally - Once bitten, twice shy: I want all the ammo I can get!

Grinity
Posted By: Aimee Yermish Re: Is this a moot point? - 07/26/10 01:16 AM
In general, I would say that if the child qualified for extended norms, there's no reason not to use them. If I (as a report writer) were worried about a skeptical audience, then I'd report both scores -- with and without extended scoring -- and explain the difference.

Note that having a 19 does not mean that the extended norms needed to be used -- it's only if they got a raw score *higher* than what was needed to make the 19 scaled score. But the tester should be on the lookout for that when scoring the test.
Posted By: Kate Re: Is this a moot point? - 07/26/10 02:38 AM
Thanks for the help. I understand now and am going to ask the psychologist about it! Nan smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum