Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mommyj2 DYS Application - April - 04/15/10 12:39 AM
Hey everyone,
I just faxed in my DS9's DYS application after waiting nearly 4 months to do so. I hope I described his "prodigious" talents well.

I've found so many wonderful resources and advice from other members on this site...I was just wondering if anyone else made the deadline or if I'm going to be waiting alone! eek
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application - April - 04/15/10 02:50 AM
Good luck and congratulations for getting it done. You should receive an email confirming his application is complete.

I would try not to think about it much. Some months answers start around the 1st of the month, but it is more likely to be 3 weeks.
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 04/15/10 05:00 PM
Thanks! I just received an email from them letting me know the application is complete. I am glad my recommendations made it.

They said 3-4 weeks. I'll try not to think about it too much. We should have enough on our minds anyways, since we are about to call another meeting with the "team" at school.
Posted By: Golfer26 Re: DYS Application - April - 04/15/10 05:13 PM
Best wishes!! We were in your shoes last month!
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 04/16/10 03:33 PM
Thanks. I'm still nervous though. I've started gathering up school assignments, poetry, and video taping him practicing piano just in case they want more!

Does anyone have any idea about how many people apply each month or how many Young Scholars there are in the program? Just wondering...
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application - April - 04/16/10 03:55 PM
It is good to be prepared in case they do ask for more. I like that it sort of makes you to tape the things we take for granted; whether you use them for an application or not, it will be nice to have many years down the road.

The website says "over 1600 DYS" but it has been there for a while.

I am sure the amount of applications varies month to month. Of course not all people post here, but even here some months only a couple of posters say that they are applying, and others it can be more like 10. When we applied for ODD, there were 8 posters that shared as well. A couple were asked for further information (and those got in the later).
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 04/26/10 08:21 PM
Well, no word yet. It will be two weeks on Wednesday, but only 8 business days as of today. Can you tell I'm stressing a bit?!

Posted By: sittin pretty Re: DYS Application - April - 04/26/10 09:01 PM
The waiting is so hard! Good luck!
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application - April - 04/26/10 11:57 PM
Good luck!
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 04/27/10 12:20 AM
Thanks everyone! I looked at all the past posts and it looks like 10 days is about the average, even though they say 3-4 weeks.

Why does this seem like such a solitary wait? My DS knows that we've applied and understands what it means, but he by no means is having the anxiety that I'm having. Did anyone else's DC's(if old enough to understand) get the DYS process?

The decision to test him seemed momentus, the decision to apply was huge, the waiting is intense!
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application - April - 04/27/10 12:35 AM
ARe you talking about 10 business days? My gut feeling is that the earliest people usually get responses is about 2 weeks after the 15th, depending on how the weekends work out. For this particular month, I would be beginning to expect answers around the 30th, but more like May 3rd.

I also have the feeling (not backed by going to look at older posts) that some of those early decisions calls/emails come to families that already have a DYS.
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 04/27/10 12:50 PM
Thanks. It does make sense that the early responses are for those with siblings who are DYS. Okay, I'm planning on breathing and not thinking about it for at least another week! smile
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 12:45 PM
He made it! We just received the acceptance email last night. Oh my gosh, what a huge relief to finally be done with the waiting. They didn't need any other information, but I'm still glad I taped him playing piano and talking about chess strategy. Mam is right, the video will be nice to have down the road.

Thanks everyone for your support and words of encouragement. I appreciate all the feedback.

So excited!!
Posted By: elizabethmom Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 12:57 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: ebeth Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 01:02 PM
That is great news! Congratulations to your DS!!
grin
Posted By: shellymos Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 01:23 PM
Congratulations!!
Posted By: inky Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 02:47 PM
Thanks for sharing the good news!
Posted By: Golfer26 Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 03:24 PM
Wonderful...congratulations to the new DYS!
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 04:10 PM
So happy for you!!! Congratulations on having put that application in. It will take several weeks before you are all set in.
Posted By: CourtneyB Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 04:13 PM
Congrats!! I need to get around to finishing our app and submitting it.
Posted By: ncal Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 04:14 PM
Congratulations, Mommyj2 and DS!

I just received the long waited email as well. DS8 is in! Big thanks to Doddie for the encouragement. If it weren't for her kind nudge, I'd have waited on applying. I am so happy now. Looking forward to meeting some of you in person.
Posted By: Mommyj2 Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm glad I sent in the application, now I'm working on getting everything in order so we can settle in smile

I agree...Dottie's help on the board(and in pm's) has been invaluable. Thank you Dottie!

Congratulations ncal and DS!

CourtneyB, I took a while to decide to apply as well, but after talking to other parents on this board who have YS's, the services and encouragement are what finally pushed me to apply. Good luck!
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 05:57 PM
Congratulations, MJ2 and ncal!

We received an email this morning telling us DS8 was accepted as well. grin
Posted By: shellymos Re: DYS Application - April - 05/06/10 06:02 PM
Wow! congrats to Mama22G's and ncal as well! Look forward to getting to know you all and your DS's better!
Posted By: Botchan Re: DYS Application - April - 05/07/10 12:07 AM
Yay! Congratulations to Mommyj2, ncal and Mama22G's!
Great news!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum