Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: playandlearn DYS question - 03/26/10 05:58 PM
OK, I've only recently started thinking about this. Partly because I'm really getting tired of fighting with the school system. I read through the instructions online, but one thing that I have not found out is what percentage of applicants are actually accepted. And if there are lots of kids who meet the minimum requirements, what are some of the factors that determine who get in and who don't? We actually are in a very good school within a very good school district (even though it's not a good match for my kid) so I wonder whether this will work against us--in other words, maybe the assumption is that our local resources should be good enough for us? Any insight? Thank.
Posted By: questions Re: DYS question - 03/26/10 06:18 PM
It is my impression that every child who meets their criteria gets in. There is no limit to the Davidsons' generosity. They appear to be seeking to help as many kids as they can. Apply.
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS question - 03/26/10 06:43 PM
I think Questions has it right (as usual) wink : DYS wants to admit every child who qualifies and desires to be admitted into the program. They don't list a percentage of applicants admitted because it varies wildly from month-to-month. If everyone who applies in a given month meets the criteria--even if that's 1000 kids--then they'll all be admitted. If they don't, then they won't be.

DYS does not look at local issues at all to my knowledge. "Good" schools or no, they assume that if you apply for your child, then your child can benefit from the program.

This is all about the child and not about anything else.

Factors: test scores, level of work (3+ years above grade level, at least), hobbies and interests, intensity, etc. (Basically, what's on the application.)

Basically, all that matters is if your child is HG+ or not. Whatever you can use to demonstrate HG+ness is what they'll look at. That may be different for different kids.
Posted By: playandlearn Re: DYS question - 03/26/10 06:52 PM
Oh, OK. Thank you both for answering the question. There is actually a warm feeling in my heart right now. smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS question - 03/26/10 08:00 PM
Good! I hope you can get the help you need. It's a good program.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: DYS question - 03/27/10 08:01 PM
I just want to add good luck too. Ask questions here if you need help with the application.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum