Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MamaJA Stanford Binet Question - 11/27/09 01:04 PM
Hello-

When taking the SB test, you start at Level 1 then progress to Level 2 then to Level 3 then finally to Level 4.

Does anyone know the IQ ranges (if any) for each of these levels?
Posted By: MamaJA Re: Stanford Binet Question - 11/27/09 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
Many gifted kids work through most, if not all of the levels to at least some degree. The scoring is very unique to each age level. A child of 5 for example does not need to go as high as a child of 8, to receive the same scoring. Sorry, but it's really not possible to speculate with such limited info, frown . Hopefully the wait won't be too long!

The wait will be...never!! DD (3.5) made it into Level 3 but then lost attention and stopped so we won't know how far she could have gone. I do know she got the first verbal vocab. word at the "17 yo" old starting point. I was just wondering if there was an IQ range for each Level.

We had a student tester conduct this SB for his class presentation and because dd didn't finish, he had to make some stuff up. I figured her full scale fell in the 120's somewhere and the VIQ was in the 130's. So I was wondering if getting into Level 3 indicated an IQ in the 120's. If that makes sense!!!!

(Her WPPSI-III FQ was about 122 and VIQ was about 134 - so I thought the scores may be close. This was also done by the same student tester for his class.)
Posted By: MamaJA Re: Stanford Binet Question - 11/27/09 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
She's 3...it's virtually impossible to pinpoint an exact IQ at that age. Heck, it's virtually impossible at any age! But you can get a bit closer with an older child. You know she's well above average....but you probably won't know how far for a few more years yet.

Again, level 3 will mean something quite different for each age level, and you really need the exact scoring tables for each subtest area to speculate.

Yeah, I know she's young but I was disappointed that he couldn't give us any results!! For me, as an average person, I find it exciting that she's smart so my curiosity is high! I was just hoping the SB might correlate with the WPPSI scores.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum