Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Niki DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 01:33 PM
I have mailed application for my DS(5) week ago. I guess, yesterday was their cutoff for this month.
Is there anybody else that just sent their application in?
I am suspecting, this is not going to be an easy waiting time for me. How did you or do you deal with the waiting?
Posted By: onthegomom Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 01:47 PM
Did they let you know they recieved everything? I was down to the wire getting ours in on Oct. 13th. I emailed them on the 15th to see if they had everthing. They emailed me back to confirm they have it all. Now the waiting begins...

I like to get some exercise outside when I'm anxious about something. This helps. Also keep busy. Do you have any closets to organize?

I heard they were busy this month and are responding a little slower. Good luck.
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 01:54 PM
I did not email them. And I did not received any notification from them. Maybe I should. Just to make sure that they have it.
Do they normally notify you, that they received everything, even if one does not send them an email, asking?

Good luck to you too, I will do some heavy duty running and deep cleaning. LOL.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 02:09 PM
They emailed me to let me know that they have everything. Now I guess I just wait smile
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 02:16 PM
Welcome Jamie to the waiting club!
Although, I did not received any email yet....so maybe I will have to wait till the next cut off.
I just sent them an email, so we will see.
Posted By: eamsnova Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 02:40 PM
I hope it is not too long of a wait. But if I recall correctly they don't look at the application until they have the recommendations.

Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 02:59 PM
I am on the same boat. I mailed the application and got "delivery confirmation" on October 9th. I know one of her letters had been mailed earlier than that, and another one was faxed on the 14th.

Niki, I also have not heard from them, but another family we know sent it on the 13th and they got confirmation from Davidson. I emailed them yesterday afternoon.

I am getting nervous with little things like not knowing that they got everything!
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 03:11 PM
I feel the same, mam.
We sent them and email, to see if DS's app is in for this month or not.
I just remembered that I sent it priority with delivery confirmation. According to the post office confirmation, they would received it on Oct. 13th at 5pm. When I was sending it, I thought I have so much time, I guess I did not figured a post office holiday into the equation. LOL.
Maybe they just received so many last minute apps, that it takes some time to confirmed them via email. I am hoping...
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 03:20 PM
Similar to us then, but ours did get in almost at 5 pm on Friday, then I figured Monday might have been a holiday for them, then it was Tuesday, give them some time, now it is Friday!

I hope we both get responses to the emails soon!
Posted By: Chrys Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 04:02 PM
We received an email Tues that they had everything. I had forgotten about the Monday holiday until Friday evening. I had to send Express Mail. I'm going to just be relieved that I got it all in for awhile before I get nervous again...
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 04:55 PM
I wonder how many people apply each month and how many they take.
Posted By: shellymos Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by onthegomom
Do you have any closets to organize?

LOL, if not you are welcome to come over to our house as we have several. : )
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 05:28 PM
That is what I think I am going to do. Move my energy elsewhere, but first I just need to know that her application is being reviewed.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 05:53 PM
Did any of you submit portfolio?

That was so hard! It's hard to know what is enough above level. Then I had trouble committing to being done. Finally, I just couldn't stand it anymore and I sent it in. One day I thought this is perfect for us. Next day, I thought this is never going to happen for us. At this point I'm just glad it is out of the house.

Which closet should I clean next?
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 07:08 PM
Shellymos, funny. Luckily we have many closets that are in desperate need of attention. Also I can share some garden weeding :-)

Onthegomom, we did not submit a portfolio. But even just the description paragraphs were enough for me. One day it seemed perfect, the next day like not enough. I am also glad that it is out of the house.
Good luck!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 10:36 PM
I remember that wait.... Not the most patient person here. Got alot done! Good Luck to all of you!
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/16/09 11:59 PM
Got the email, sent to review on the 16th. Now I can forget about it for a couple of weeks.
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/17/09 12:13 AM
We got it too. Complete and sent for review.
I was just wondering how many applications do they get each month?
Does anybody know. I know it probably changes from month to month, but just a ballpark number, anybody?
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS Application support group - 10/17/09 01:07 AM
I have no idea how many applications they average per month. Sorry.

To accompany Dottie's info, I'll add that they take all applicants they consider eligible under their requirements. There's no limit to how many they will accept and no required number for a given month. Maybe that helps?
Posted By: Silly Girl Re: DYS Application support group - 10/17/09 10:39 PM
We sent in our application this month too. Good luck to everyone!
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/17/09 10:49 PM
Good luck to you Silly Girl as well. It is 6 of us who have posted here.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/17/09 11:23 PM
Ok thanks Kriston!

I didn't submit a portfolio. I did include a video or two but the only ones I had were from a year or so back. I'm a little concerned being that DS only just turned 5 I didn't have many academic scores to turn in.
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/18/09 01:01 AM
Good luck Silly Girl.
Posted By: Silly Girl Re: DYS Application support group - 10/19/09 11:41 PM
Thanks everyone!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: DYS Application support group - 10/24/09 12:11 AM
Does anybody know what's the earliest we might hear anything?
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/24/09 12:26 AM
I am thinking at least 2 more weeks before we hear anything.
I estimate this on the review, which takes according to the email notice about 3-4 weeks.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: DYS Application support group - 10/24/09 03:09 AM
If it helps any, we got our email on the 4th of the month following the application deadline that we hit. I don't know what is standard, though. Good luck, guys! smile
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/24/09 03:52 AM
Thanks Nautigal.

From posts here, I think last month it was over 3 weeks after the 15th. Also, some received emails one day, and other(s) a couple of days later.

The month before, apparently, it was right at the beginning of the month.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/28/09 07:34 PM
Are all of you still biting your nails?
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/28/09 07:49 PM
Yes, yes, yes.
I really should get to one of those closets. LOL
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/28/09 08:21 PM
Me too...I get more nervous as time goes on.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: DYS Application support group - 10/28/09 10:23 PM
I've got the "drum roll" ready. Should be any day now.... Good Luck!
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/28/09 11:26 PM
I decided I was not going to think about it much before Friday. It is on the back of my mind, but definitely not at the top of the list now.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/30/09 06:26 PM
I got an email saying that they got my info but need DSs actual scores from the SB-IV and not just his percentiles. Of course the school board is refusing to release that to me. I'm not sure what to do now as private testing for that isn't an option.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/30/09 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
Is it possible that the school would release them to DYS? Can you suggest that DYS staff approach your school directly? You might still not get to see the scores, but possibly have them work for you anyway. Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest.
Thanks Dotty...I just sent an email to the school board asking if I can sign something allowing them to release the scores to the Davidson Institute. That way they can fax it without me seeing them. If not I'll contact the Davidson Institute and see what they can do.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 10/30/09 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
Oh great, quote my "sotty", ROFL! I'm considering Chinese for supper, grin . (Someone must have moved that stupid "r" key on me, whistle .)
What are you talking about?? The word looks fine in my quote wink
Posted By: onthegomom Re: DYS Application support group - 10/30/09 07:52 PM
I can hardly stand the wait. Besides that think they will ask for more scores and then I will have to wait more. I not a very patient person with stuff like this.

Hang in there everybody.
Posted By: Grinity Re: DYS Application support group - 10/30/09 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jamie
I just sent an email to the school board asking if I can sign something allowing them to release the scores to the Davidson Institute. That way they can fax it without me seeing them. If not I'll contact the Davidson Institute and see what they can do.
Good for you!
That's the way to jump on it!
If even the Davidson People can't get the school to roll over, see if they will chip in to help pay for the testing, or if there is a university teaching program nearby that might do the testing 'for cheap.' You can use your school test to persuade the Uni that your child would be 'educational.'

Good luck -
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: DYS Application support group - 10/30/09 07:53 PM
I wonder what if this thread can inspire an Halloween Coustume Idea.
Happy Halloween!
Grinity
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 10/31/09 01:10 PM
I opened my email account this morning and there is an email from Davidson's Institute......surge of adrenalin...
.....Well, I forget that while ago I signed up for Davidson's e-newsletter. False alarm. The wait is still on. LOL
Posted By: onthegomom Re: DYS Application support group - 10/31/09 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Niki
I opened my email account this morning and there is an email from Davidson's Institute......surge of adrenalin...
.....Well, I forget that while ago I signed up for Davidson's e-newsletter. False alarm. The wait is still on. LOL
me too! Glad I'm not alone it helps.
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 10/31/09 04:59 PM
Good reminder to not sign up now. I can get the newsletter once she is in or not...

I obsessively checked for the application complete email, and then realized I had given the other email account. Now I remember which one I will have to check.
Posted By: Silly Girl Re: DYS Application support group - 11/01/09 07:24 PM
I'm getting a little more nervous as it gets closer. :o)
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 11/01/09 08:00 PM
Maybe tomorrow?
Posted By: Silly Girl Re: DYS Application support group - 11/02/09 11:03 AM
I hope the school cooperates Jamie!
Posted By: Jamie B Re: DYS Application support group - 11/02/09 05:37 PM
I called The Davidson Institute and they told me that they'd be able to just use what they had. I can't believe that the school board won't give me the scores but they are very difficult to work with!
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 11/02/09 06:15 PM
That is a great news. I hope this will work out, JamieB.
Posted By: Silly Girl Re: DYS Application support group - 11/02/09 07:07 PM
Excellent news!
Posted By: Mam Re: DYS Application support group - 11/04/09 01:47 AM
Good Jamie!

I am now officially nervous... almost 3 weeks... I hope I am not getting more people nervous since I would have obviously NOT gotten any results yet.

BTW, do you all plan on using this thread to share when you got results, or shall we open a new one?
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 11/04/09 12:58 PM
I think we can just continue here, when the time comes....
I am also "officially" nervous. My hubby stated yesterday so calmly: when it comes, it comes. Nothing you can do about it, so don't think about it.
Sometimes I wish I would have my DH's brain, it would be much easier.LOL
Posted By: Niki Re: DYS Application support group - 11/04/09 01:00 PM
Or maybe we can open a new thread, I think that would be better.
Sorry, my brain is not working yet.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS Application support group - 11/04/09 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jamie B
I got an email saying that they got my info but need DSs actual scores from the SB-IV and not just his percentiles. Of course the school board is refusing to release that to me. I'm not sure what to do now as private testing for that isn't an option.

I didn't see this earlier... aren't they required by law (FERPA) to allow you view your DS' school records? Is this a public school?

I'm glad Davidson can work with the percentiles.
Posted By: inky Re: DYS Application support group - 11/04/09 03:38 PM
I'm surprised too. Be sure to mention FERPA when you make the request.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS Application support group - 11/04/09 03:43 PM
Here is some FERPA information .
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum