Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: renie1 DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 03:08 AM
hi all,
i just looked at the DYS qualification criteria and noticed that it allows the GAI for WISC. I had sworn when i checked a few months ago, GAI was not listed. Does anyone know if thats a recent addition/change to their criteria or did i miss it before?
irene
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 04:42 AM
You're right. That's new. I think it's a good thing smile
Posted By: hkc75 Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 02:38 PM
Is there a way to calculate the GAI if you do not have the subtests? Unfortunately I only have a few of the subtests and my son struggles so much with writing that doing a retest is probably out of the question. His psychologist suggested a retest to get a better assessment.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 02:58 PM
Here is information on how to calculate the GAI

WISC-IV General Ability Index (G.A.I.) Worksheet

WISC-IV Technical Report #4: General Ability Index
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by hkc75
Is there a way to calculate the GAI if you do not have the subtests? Unfortunately I only have a few of the subtests and my son struggles so much with writing that doing a retest is probably out of the question. His psychologist suggested a retest to get a better assessment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is much writing involved in the VCI and PRI subtests of the WISC-IV.
Posted By: hkc75 Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 03:11 PM
Thank you Cathy! If I did it right, we now qualify.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 03:14 PM
Uh-oh, Dottie. I'm revealing the secrets behind your powers...
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by hkc75
Thank you Cathy! If I did it right, we now qualify.

Ooooo! How exciting smile
Posted By: momx2 Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 03:25 PM
I second the magic powers. Dottie, you don't give yourself enough credit. To someone who isn't mathy - like me, you are the David Copperfield (or Harry Houdini) of GT calculations! (Sorry, I can't think of a famous female magician/illusionist).
Posted By: JDAx3 Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 04:40 PM
Would someone be able to verify I calculated GAI correctly? I came up with GAI of 97 or 99.9%ile.

Vocabulary-18
Comprehension-14
Similarities-18

Block Design-14
Matrix Reasoning-18
Picture Concepts-15

Thanks. I'd appreciate it.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/22/09 05:18 PM
Here's the GAI Table for Canadian Norms in case anyone needs it.
Posted By: renie1 Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/23/09 05:08 AM
hi all
i am glad to see they added it, but am still a bit baffled as to why they do not soften up the WPPSI requirements. The 150 is tough and there is no GAI. My DD5 got a 147 FSIQ which i am pretty sure is 99.9%tile and I am certain that if such a thing as GAI existed for WPPSI, her GAI would pass 150. Someone mentioned that the scores for young kids are less reliable somehow, so maybe that is the reason??
irene
Posted By: passthepotatoes Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/23/09 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by Dottie
I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to pull stuff to see if anything changed, like maybe some of the ACT/SAT criteria at the higher levels.

Did these change? I'm curious because they really don't seem that high to me.
Posted By: LMom Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/23/09 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by renie1
hi all
i am glad to see they added it, but am still a bit baffled as to why they do not soften up the WPPSI requirements. The 150 is tough and there is no GAI. My DD5 got a 147 FSIQ which i am pretty sure is 99.9%tile and I am certain that if such a thing as GAI existed for WPPSI, her GAI would pass 150. Someone mentioned that the scores for young kids are less reliable somehow, so maybe that is the reason??
irene

I am so with you. DS5 has both PIQ and FSIQ in the 99.9% but not the required 150. If there was a GAI for WPPSI, his would be more than 150. Dottie was kind enough to calculate GAI for DS7 (DYS, PIQ>=150) and his was over 150. DS5's GAI would be even higher. Stupid coding frown Extended scoring on WPPSI would be nice too.

At the very least it gives me a hope that if we wait for WISC then he has even better chance to get in.
Posted By: NCmom2 Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/26/09 02:14 AM
Yay! Based on this DD8 should qualify. We were an eyelash hair away with the old standards, but make it with room to spare with the GAI. Problem is, our achievement testing is now out of date, but that is cheaper and easier than doing an IQ re-test.

Thanks for the info, made my day.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/26/09 02:20 AM
NCMom2 - only 1 set of data has to be w/in 2yrs.
Posted By: Sky Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/27/09 10:01 AM
We're thinking about applying DD for YS but I'm not sure these scores will do. Her FSIQ is only 135: She took the WISC-IV
VCI:
V = 18
C = 17
S = 18

PRI:
B = 14
M = 17
P = 17

PSI:
C = 9
S = 15

Please help. Do you think she qualifies?

Dottie, please work your "magic".
Posted By: Sky Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/27/09 10:46 AM
Thank you, Dottie. You are so fast. This is such a great group to come for info. Thank you all so much. My DD is 9. Which do you recommend, Explore, ACT or SAT and when/where can go to have her tested?
Posted By: Sky Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/27/09 11:00 AM
Her teacher recommended an IQ test so that's what we had done. She is in the GT classes now but she's starting to complain it's boring and this is just the first week! Should I have asked for an achievement test, too? I'm just now becoming more involved with my dd's education needs so I'm still a little behind. I've been to trusting in the school systems.

Thank you, Dottie. I'll call the psychologist who gave her the IQ test to see if she also gives achievement test. I am assuming that the WJ is the most recommended?
Posted By: Dandy Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/27/09 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
For age 9, yes...the WJ is best.

How 'bout for age 7?

& why? Or, can you direct me to a website that discusses the age-related preferences of one test over another?

Kinda moot at this point... considering HE'S RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS TEST AT THIS VERY MOMENT AND I'M NOT DEALING WITH IT VERY WELL.... AND WHERE THE %$#!@ IS MY SCOTCH???

Whoa. Sorry.
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/27/09 04:54 PM
Hugs to you, Dandy! smile

Actually, I'd love a brief overview of test type per age and processing skill (i.e. fast vs. slow) too!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/27/09 05:02 PM
I think ceiling issues are the biggest consideration with regard to age.

Different tests have different ceilings. If the test ceiling is too low, you don't get much information.
Posted By: Penelope Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/30/09 03:22 AM
How recent does the WISC-IV need to be for a DYS application. With the GAI consideration I think DD would make the cut:
Similarities: 19
Vocabulary: 18
Comprehension: 18
Block Design: 16
Picture Concepts: 14
Matrix Reasoning: 12

These test scores are from 2005. We applied once before but she was not accepted. Since then she has continued to rank in the 99th percentile on state tests, explore tests etc. in the area of reading/English. Am I right that the GAI would meet the criteria? Do we need to have a new WISC IV done because they are so old?
Thanks.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/30/09 03:30 AM
Maybe not with the new achievement data. You can always send it in and see what they say...

I came up with GAI = 146. Is that what you calculated? What was the VCI? It must have been pretty high...
Posted By: Penelope Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/30/09 03:40 AM
What is a VCI? Her Verbal IQ was 150, Perceptual 125, Working Memory 99 and Processing Speed 97 for a FSIQ of only 127.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 08/30/09 03:46 AM
VCI is the verbal composite. I think that's what you're calling Verbal IQ. I think that alone qualifies. Why not give them a call and see what else you would need to have a complete application?
Posted By: MNTCMom Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 09/26/09 06:06 AM
Our WISC-IV report from a year ago has all subset scores along with FSIQ, but not GAI. Now that we can use GAI, can we still use that report, but without GAI calculated by the tester at the time?
Also a dumb question, how I can go about getting a WJ-III test? Thank you very much.
Posted By: MNTCMom Re: DYS criteria and GAI - 11/08/09 08:50 PM
Dottie,
Wow, and thank you for coming to this question of mine (from another one of mine). I'd better get things together quick. Thanks for encouraging me to apply for DYS.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum