Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: nova147 Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/02/09 03:20 PM
My son is 4.5 and we had his IQ tested in January. I have read that IQ testing this young can give low scores because the child becomes tired before reaching the test ceiling. I'm curious if anyone has had their child tested in early childhood and then later and if you'd be willing to share the different results. Just curious, really. Thanks!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/02/09 03:40 PM
My son was tested on the WPPSI-III at age 4.5 and on the WISC-IV at age 6.5. The results were within 2 points of each other.
Posted By: momx2 Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/02/09 04:41 PM
My son was tested on the WPPSI-III at 4y10mon and on the SB-V at 7y8mon. The results were within 2 points of each other as well (like CathyA). HTH.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/02/09 04:45 PM
That's very interesting considering that two different tests were used!
Posted By: cym Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/02/09 05:15 PM
My sister once told me that her kids' school had said that early IQ tests are generally [/i]higher[i] (I think they said "inflated") than later results. I asked her for more information, but she didn't know anything more or the source, etc.

I have one DS who tested high on IQ test at age 5 (156), and now doesn't test startlingly well on SATs (which are supposed to correlate). I don't believe his IQ has decreased, but think that he's a slow reader (as am I).

Posted By: momx2 Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/03/09 02:18 AM
Hi All, We were in a similar boat in that both sets of scores were good but the first set was out of date for some of the programs we were seeking (older than 2 years). I see no need to test IQ again for this child. I, too, was surprised by both the stability and the consistency of the sections that were high (WPPSI-III P and SBV NV) as well as the FSIQs. Anyway, I tend to view all with a grain of salt since potential doesn't necessarily equal performance or success. If there were a magic pill for motivation - that would be something I would be interested in!
Interesting thread...
Posted By: Botchan Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/03/09 02:19 AM
My DS8 was tested on the WPPSI-III at age 4.2 and WISC-IV at 6.2.
There are 18 points difference between them.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/03/09 03:14 AM
Botchan, which one was lower?
Posted By: Botchan Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/03/09 04:13 AM
The WPPSI-III was lower.
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/03/09 11:35 AM
Yeah! A motivation pill! Well actually let's see....Pokemon, Bakugon and now Yu-Gi-OH are the great motivators around here. :-) We have made our own Pokemonoply board game, a website dedicated to cheat codes for Pokemon Nintendo games, PowerPoints about all the Bakugon figures and now a Card Creator online for making your own Yu-Gi-Oh. This summer has also brought on "Fishing Mania" and that meant purchasing the Field Guide to North American Fishes" which is studied daily for distinguishing marks, areas located, type of feeder etc. as well as a really cool mosaic of a Pumpkin Seed. Myself as Mom, I am just along for the ride. :-)
Posted By: Floridama Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/06/09 03:55 PM
MY dd took the Kauf. brief test at 5 and a full scale at 6 she was 22 points higher on the full scale. I think some of the variance was due to age and maturity, and some because brief tests are more limited. Her tests were done at school.

I have heard that children tend to score the highest in the 5-7 age bracket, but every child and every test is different.

Posted By: Austin Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/06/09 04:07 PM
It depends.

Kids who score high but who started with a low-quality curriculum will score higher once they go into a high quality education environment.

If they already have a maxed out environment, then I would not expect to see much of a change.

Test anxiety may also be a factor to bump up scores.

SAT and ACT do correlate to IQ, all things being equal, but you need time to work things out you do not know - esp on the harder questions in the math and verbal sections.
Posted By: Cheryl Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/07/09 12:36 AM
Our daughter took the WIPSI at barely age 4..then the Stanford Binet 4th edition a few weeks later. 8 points higher on SB. Then again at age 6 and 8yrs...only on SB 5 leveling out at 16 points higher than that first test.
They are not the same and the SB does not penalize for processing speed.
Maturity can matter. The type of test/strengths of child can influence a score.
Posted By: cym Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/11/09 04:56 PM
Another thought I had on this topic...

I know of 2 boys who were tested early and scored in the NG range. They enjoyed the pull out gifted program at their elementary school for several years, but then around 4th grade stopped doing classwork and started failing (or maybe getting Ds). One mom was beside herself because she said all he wants to do is read and she didn't want him to be penalized by taking his books away. I suggested she have him re-tested because it sounded like he was bored stiff. His retest had a 15 pt jump in IQ! Enough to qualify for self-contained program. The exact same thing happened to another friend, though her son only had a couple months in the PEGS class before going to middle school.

Both boys tested initially at about 6 and retested at about age 10.
Posted By: renie1 Re: Early IQ scores vs. later scores - 07/12/09 02:16 AM
not sure if i should start a new thread, but wondering if anyone else has ever seen a FSIQ jump in the neighborhood of 30 points from WPPSI to WISC.. even though test conditions were near perfect both times.

The first time was at age 4.6 and we observed the whole WPPSI thru a two-way mirror and thought he performed great (for him). I believe his highest score on the WPPSI was a 10 and most were 7-8 range..His FSIQ was in the mid 80s which we were actually thrilled with because his score on the Bayley Scales at age 2 estimated his IQ at 50-60...

Then at age 7.0 he scored 30 points higher on the WISC-IV. with some subtest scores actually doubling or more..vocabulary and picture concepts were at ceiling on WISC (19 and 18)..Processing speed not great though..so FSIQ 119 and GAI 138.. Since his development has been so fluid during this time, definitely a late-blooming gifted child... wondering if anyone else has seen thsi with their kids and whether we should expect the trend to continue, putting him in a HG or PG range within the next couple years (joining his little sister who is HG+). He has a lot of HG characteristics and appears twice-exceptional now, but the disability piece seems to be vanishing before our eyes, with each day bringing amazement to us as we watch him change.

Also if anyone knows of any studies of changability of IQ scores, pls. let me know.. would love to read.

irene
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum