Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Nautigal He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 04:19 AM
We got our email today, DS6 was accepted! smile

I don't know yet what we're going to do with it--it may have just been a compulsive joining move on my part, LOL! What do you guys do with yours?
Posted By: Kriston Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 04:43 AM
We mostly use it for networking with other families--both local and further afield--for e-mails, phone calls and get-togethers. We now have some really good friends who are DYSers. It's lovely to have friends the kids feel so at home with even in their differences, and it's been thrilling to know other parents with whom we can talk completely openly about our kids.

If we were in traditional school situations with DS8, we'd use DYS for advocacy help, too. As it is, given that we're homeschooling, we have it as insurance for if/when DS8 goes back to a public or (more likely) a private school.

But I think that just knowing we're not alone is priceless! smile

P.S. Congratulations!
Posted By: Tiz Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 11:08 AM
Congratulations! smile
Posted By: covenantcasa Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 12:08 PM
Congrats! I am preparing to submit my ds7:11 application. Can you share what sort of examples you provided for son's work? I am SO new to the GT world and I homeschool. Thanks.
-CC
Posted By: shellymos Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 01:31 PM
Congrats! We are anxiously awaiting when DS turns 5 next month so we can apply and join DYS!
Posted By: crisc Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 03:19 PM
Congrats!

As someone who has recently used my DYS for public school advocacy I can tell you that it's been a great service. My DYS consultant for DS6 even spoke on the phone with our district GT coordinator this week to help provide recommendations and suggestions for next years plan.

We also enjoyed the annual gathering last year and are looking forward to the one for this year. I have also made some great friends and connections via the DYS program.
Posted By: incogneato Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 03:41 PM
Congrats!

Neato
Posted By: Edwin Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 04:32 PM
Good News, Congradulations
Posted By: inky Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 04:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the good news!
Posted By: Nautigal Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 05:17 PM
CC:
I sent a story that he wrote when he was 5, a story that he wrote this year (it's actually posted in the brag thread, I think it was page 37-ish), a couple of letters to neighbors that he wrote when he was 4, and an organizational thingie that he made for a 4th grade math book that he likes to work in--it has all these "foldable" things that are supposed to organize file cards for math problems, and he went through the book and made every single project and hung it on the wall by his bed. I couldn't really find anything to send besides that to show his math interest--I guess we haven't saved anything in particular from his numbers fetish. I know we have some things I took pictures of, but they're in the piles of CDs full of pictures and I didn't have time to find them. smile

I figured the scores would speak for themselves, and just crossed my fingers that our samples were good enough.

Good luck with yours!
Posted By: m2gts Re: He's a DYS! - 06/05/09 06:12 PM
Great news! Congrats!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum