Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: m2gts Questions about DYS entrance - 04/04/09 03:03 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to be accepted into the DYS program with "slightly less" than the minimum score guidelines set forth on the Davidson Institute's web site?

We just received our DS5's test results and written report. For the IQ test, he was 4 points shy of the required minimum score (he took the WPPSI-III). The evaluator mentioned several times that she felt his FSIQ was likely an underestimate, and described why she felt this was the case. For the achievement tests, he was WAY off the chart on both reading and math, so he easily meets the minimum requirements there.

So, has anyone ever been in a similar situation, applied to DYS, and been accepted?

I plan on applying, because the scores just seem too close not to (it can't hurt to try, right?) If I do, there are one or two pieces of work that I can include as well (I don't really have a "portfolio" for him, alot of what he does, especially with math, he does in his head).

Any advice or experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Mia Re: Questions about DYS entrance - 04/04/09 08:05 PM
I sent you a pm ... smile
Posted By: kickball Re: Questions about DYS entrance - 04/04/09 10:23 PM
Can you record what is going on is his head.... If the easter bunny gives 8 pieces of chocolate to everyone in the family of 5 but your mom takes two pieces from each non-mom person how much weight does mom gain? But seriously, you can capture something of that math maybe make up a decoding game or something.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum