Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MindyLu School entry test - 04/02/09 04:55 AM
Hello! DS6 is going to be tested for entry into a gifted school in a couple weeks. I called to ask how long the test was, what was involved, etc. She said it takes 30-45 minutes and they use an intelligence test where they test verbal and performance and an achievement test where they test reading comprehension and math skills. I asked her what the minimum score was to be accepted to the school and she said anything above 8. Does anybody know what she could be talking about (since all tests I've looked at have scores in the 100s)? I'll probably break down and call back soon and ask more questions, just because the curiosity is killing me!

Thanks!
Posted By: JustAMom Re: School entry test - 04/02/09 12:03 PM
It sounds like ITBS?
Posted By: MindyLu Re: School entry test - 04/02/09 01:17 PM
I started looking around more this morning (trying to find out what a stanine was! :)) and I think I figured out where the score of 8 is coming from...there are some school districts that use a matrix system. They would take the scores from each test, insert it into a matrix, and come up with a score. From what I see, most gifted programs take kids that score 7-8 points. Thanks for the responses though - it helped me figure this out!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum