Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
My daughter in 3rd grade got good scores in COGAT and NNAT. 150 in one
of the COGAT sub sets and 142 in the COGAT composite and 143 in the
NNAT composite.
I checked the GBRS at her school today and that was 11. What are her
chances. Anybody in the same boat and was there a denial.

Thank you for the info.

Hi Maddy, Those are great scores. I'm not familiar with the GBRS. Have they denied services? Or are you just worried they might?
I will not know until april end. I was just wondering if he needs wisc as a back up. Thanks
Thanks. I am in Fairfax county and that is the GBRS and the max is 16. My daughter got 11 out of 16. I am just concerned if they dent depending on that.
I understand your concern and it IS nerve wracking! Your daughter maxed out one section of the CogAt, as I understand it that means she missed NO questions in that subject. That is very impressive. If you want the WISC administered, let it be because you want to have a more precise understanding of how intelligent she is and to gauge what her educational needs may be.

Don't worry about running out and getting the test in preparation for something that may not happen, okay?

smile

Just sit tight and wait....I know easier said than done. grin
Thank you so much. I know its so nerve wracking. What do you think about the GBRS. Is it very bad or does she still stand a chance. With such good COGAT and NNAT score I would feel really bad for her if she is not accepted. Then I guess WISC is the option. From what I have heard kids who make the cut off score in the COGAT and NNAT and if they are denied and if they appeal after that, they eventually get thru. that's my only hope.
Those are incredible scores and the behavioral thing sounds like a crock to me. Some of the most gifted kids are the best at being chameleons. I would be shocked if your child didn't get services.
Non verbal is the one she got 150.
126 and 130.
I know they place alot of weight on the GBRS scores. According to the coordinator only 60% of the pool, kids with qualifying scores, are admitted for Center level services. Would you child have to leave her school to receive Level IV or is there a center program at your home school? I know of other kids who have been accepted on nonverbal scores so don't give another thought to her test scores she's good there. Why did she get the 11? Do you have any idea? Is it something you could counter by submitting a portfolio of work and filling out the parent questionaire? Even with the 11 I would think she has a very high chance of being admitted and offer Level IV.
Sorry one more question. Why is she being tested in 3rd grade? Are you coming from outside the system?
Thanks for the info. Yes we were on a temporary assignment out of coun try. So she missed her 2nd grade here.
I have put in all the optional material like 5 work samples and 5 letter of recommendations/certificates. I have also filled in the parent questionaire too. The GT teacher at the school said she is going to put all of them togather in the file and submit them this friday.
But what do you think about the 11 in GBRS. Is it really low or somthing they will consider.
Thank you.
One more....I have a friend who's son came in from private school. Had lower scores on the COGAT and NNAT and from what his mom said, a less than spectacular GBRS score, so your daughter should be golden! Her scores are so far over that they should counter the GBRS but I would want to know where she got dinged by the teacher and if the teacher is a FFX county or private school.
Oh about the level 4 services, she has to go to a different school.
A lot of gifted programming starts in third or fourth grade. Our DD was tested with the CogAt and will take the ITBS and state achievement test this year in third.
I think they'll probably write off the lower GBRS due to traveling if you guys move around alot but can't say for sure. My only concern would be if she is disruptive. You know how they like to keep the peace in the public school. My dd also gets dinged for how long it takes her to color...so go figure. I think you'll be fine. As I said a friend's son got in with a less than stellar GBRS and lower scores than your dd.
Good luck to your daughter, Maddy. I hope she gets the opportunity to participate in the program.
Hey neato,

FFX county tests all 2nd graders and then only new students or parents who make special request in subsequent years.
Thanks for the encouraging words all of you.

Was your friends kids GBRS less than 11. Sorry for bothering. I am just a concerned parent.
yup that's it. would you believe they actually give it alot of weight!! they want perky motivated robots!
maddy,

I don't know what it was exactly. sorry. just that it wasn't close to 16.
Dottie,

welcome to my world! i keep hoping i get laid off so i have an excuse to homeschool my kids:-)
Yep. Thats the one. There are 4 categories and 4 is the max in each category that total to a max GBRS of 16. . She got 3 in all but 2 in the 3rd category, creative/productive thinking. So her total is 11.
maddy,

i can't believe they showed it to you! it's supposed to be super secret...
Maddy,

I would argue, vehemently, that they are never even give a chance to think creatively so how the h*** do they know what she's capable of doing "consistently". It's all nuts.
Thanks Ianfan...LOL on the perky motivated robots! And am I supposed to wish you good luck.......on getting laid off????

crazy !!

Maddy, it does look good, try not to worry.

((said the lady who has been told not to borrow trouble on a few occasions!))

grin
In the gT packet it says upon request parents can see the GT file. I did not see the whole file. She just showed me the GBRS.
Thanks guys. You are so so encouraging.

I know the 2 in the creative/productive skills looked odd to me too when she got 150 in the non verbal sub set of COGAT.

I guesss the GBRS is very subjective with the teachers.
Well, yes, the key word being subjective. My understanding is that these scales are there to push a kid in who is close but doesn't quite meet test score minimums and is clearly GT.

I wouldn't doubt that they've been used to keep a kid out, but I think and hope that's the exception, not the rule.

Well, whoever showed you the GBRS did you a favor because in the chance your daughter does not qualify you have a very solid case for appeal.
Thanks for the info. Can you please elaborate on the appeal you mentioned. Do the low GBRS help me in the appeal. Thank again.
Because it's highly subjective and not as accuarate as a GT evaluation tool. But seriously, Maddy, don't worry about it now, okay? smile
Thank you so much. I will try not to worry and will wait for the results smile
Update on my daughters GT program. I got a letter today and she has been accepted. So I think the high scores in COGAT must have made the difference inspite of a low GBRS.
Either I am very happy for her. Just wanted to thank all of you who responded to my queries. I appreciated all your comments and answers and good luck to everybody.
Congrats to you Maddy. Clearly it is where she belongs.
Anybody can give input on how to make "Appeal Packet"? Please share.
GT Moms share your experiences about what information helps in appeal packet.
Well, the website says that an appeal can only be made with new information that was not in the original application packet. Most people I have talked to include the results of the WISC in the their appeal, assuming they did not include WISC results originally (and most people do not, holding it back in case they need to appeal).
WISC scores should be in definitely. If you did not put in the work samples, certificates and the recommendations the first time you could do thatnow. You can do 5 of each like 5 work samples and 5 certificates/or recommendation letters.
You could put in the JHU CTY certificate if you have it. I have heard they give lot of weightage to it.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum