Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
1) Go to Google Maps
2) Search for: top gifted psychologists
3) scrool down to 'user created content'
4) check the box next to 'user created content' and search
Here's a draft of my mental map of where are the resources for testing 'more than the usually gifted'

Please check my links and make sure that they are still current!

Please let me know if any of these people pissed you off (Privatly)

Please help me find the 'final 5' - I'm short!

Please help me find a link that takes one directly to this page.

Please when you get tested, post here and let the others know what you thought.

I'm looking for testers who
a) get highly gifted kids
b) can talk to parents in a helpful way
c) can answer the questions you came in with
d) can give you guidance about the 'least - worst' eductional options.
Ok, I worked on this some more, and found a way to make a prettier link to my draft list, which, BTW, use at your own risk.
I'm posting this so we can improve it!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...5059822090.000461ba927f03f403bed&z=4

Love and More Love,
Grinity
I know Aimee Yermish and think she is brilliant and amazing. But I do want people to know that she is still working on her advanced credentials and cannot officially diagnose if there is a 2e condition. I'm also not sure if she is able to take insurance.

I'd recommend that you add the Gifted Resource center in RI, and Nadia Webb, who I believe is now in Louisiana?
Cool! Great post smile
Grinity ... thanks so much for working on this. What a great resource this will become!

Now for my selfish reason for posting to this. Is there any in Texas that anyone knows that is high up the rankings? I realize they might not be in the top 10 but would be looking for one that is great with highly gifted children.
another thanks to you, Grinity! What a great idea.

How about anyone in the Pacific Northwest who doesn't specialize in 2E? There is one site listed, but they are WAAAAAY too much $$$ for what we need...

much love to YOU, Grins
Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
Grinity ... thanks so much for working on this. What a great resource this will become!

Now for my selfish reason for posting to this. Is there any in Texas that anyone knows that is high up the rankings? I realize they might not be in the top 10 but would be looking for one that is great with highly gifted children.

Contact this group. They would know.

http://www.cfbgifted.org/

Dr. David Welsh
Fort Worth Tx

The owner of our past montessori school refered us to him last year. We came back to see him again this year and decided that we would listen to what he was telling us. We did and with everyones support Admin., Teachers, Dr. Welsh, and Owners of the two schools we made a change last week. Amazingly we found DD7's people. We didn't belive that DD7 would fit in but she does in her own mind blowing way.

He is deeply respected throught out the schools in our area. Our privite schools go through him before concidering application. He also has written The Child that Burned To Brightly.

Although I'm new to all this recovering from denile and all, Hope this helps.
Elizabeth Mika - Gurnee, IL
(north of Chicago)

She is amazing with highly gifted kids (and has one of her own, and really understands them). Friendly, great rapport with kids, and has a lot of knowledge and insight into educational options for HG/PG kids. She is thoughtful and intuitive, and I cannot recommend her highly enough!
Ooh, we used Elizabeth Mika too, and she was *fabulous.* Ds-then-5 loved being tested!
Has anyone tested with Dr. James Webb? The one who 'wrote the book' on MisDiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis? I love his writing style, but am curious to hear how his 'people skills' are.
Originally Posted by Lorel
I know Aimee Yermish and think she is brilliant and amazing. But I do want people to know that she is still working on her advanced credentials and cannot officially diagnose if there is a 2e condition. I'm also not sure if she is able to take insurance.

I'd recommend that you add the Gifted Resource center in RI, and Nadia Webb, who I believe is now in Louisiana?

Thank you so much for posting this. I talked to her this morning. She is a wonderful person to talk to!! She was kind enough to give names and numbers of other Psychologists. She has an incredible amount of information. I really learned a lot from her. grin
In virginia, I am considering this guy:
http://books.google.com/books?id=rTRvHdsbxeIC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=dr.+john+wasserman,+fairfax&source=web&ots=Q2pg9eFdOG&sig=1tR-YkdTut2qyUa9J9nP9fmfwmw&hl=en&ei=LqmSScDfJdG3twfl1JzcCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result

Dr. John Wasserman, I think he worked with Nadia Webb, may still work with her. Does anyone have any good experience with him?

Sounds like he is way up there as far as experience with exactly what we need for our ds. Just have to scrap together the funds....Grinity, I don't think I saw him on your map.

If we do go with him, I can report back, but I can say I had an amazing conversation with him the other day - me detailing ds situation, him explaining what he does. Just really informative, genuine and knowledgeable. I can very easily see him really working well with ds and being able to really provide some info/insight on possible gt, possible ld.

He works through this group, which appears geared towards helping people navigate the 'system' in virginia, advocating for all kinds of kids (with gt and/or ld needs). Very interesting.
http://www.richweinfeld.com/gifted-talented.html
Tall Boys-

You're welcome!
Dr David Palmer
Laguna Beach, California

He wrote a book called "IQ Testing and Gifted Education". My son just got tested through him.

He is also recommended in the Hoagies website.
Does anyone know of someone near Buffalo, NY?
Originally Posted by chris1234
....Grinity, I don't think I saw him on your map.

http://www.richweinfeld.com/gifted-talented.html

Although I've heard and have opinions about a lot of 'them' I certianly don't know them all! That's were you come in! Good Luck!
Grinity
Yes, ma'am! smile I figured I might have just missed it...

We have decided to go for it and will write back if the Dr's work seems worthy of 'the big map' wink
Should this be a sticky??? Don't know how that works, just a suggestion.
What a great idea. No recommendations for Florida, though.
Originally Posted by fangcyn
Dr David Palmer
Laguna Beach, California

He wrote a book called "IQ Testing and Gifted Education". My son just got tested through him.

He is also recommended in the Hoagies website.

fangcyn,

How was the overall experience? Would you recommended him?

thanks!
Just pm'd you.

He is pretty nice and very professional. DS7 likes him too. He is also very good at answering all our questions. DS7 is usually quite jumpy unless there is a book in front of him. Dr Palmer was able to get him to focus on the test.
Can anyone suggest someone in the Atlanta, GA area?
We tested with Dr. Mark McKee in Naperville, IL. We really liked him and he was great with DS.
Mom0405: Did you check out the Hoagies page? That's where I'd recommend starting.
Mom0405, I used the Hoagies page and contacted Dr. Spomenka Newman. We're in the middle of DD9's assessment. Dr. Newman is great and has developed a wonderful relationship with DD. She is located in Lawrenceville, GA. I would definitely recommend calling her.
Great map Grinity - thank you. Do you think we might expand it beyond US borders at some point - or have others contribute. I know there are people from Canada and Australia if no where else on the board. It would be helpful for those of us that have to occasionally live abroad/move for a job etc.
At bit off tangent but I heard testing might be invalid if it isn't 3 years apart??? Anyone hear this?
We tested DS 4.9 and was thinking to retest he is 6.4 now.
Is it not a good idea to retest?
if you have folks that you have personal knowledge of that really get profoundly gifted kids, has the social skills to interact well with parents and school folk, doesn't pathologise normal PG behavior and will diagnose a problem when it really exists - then we can certainly add them to the list. bonus points for having enough integrity to not teach parents to help kids how to adapt to toxic situations but instead keep reminding parents to make that needed change.
I heared you're not supposed to re-test within a 6 month period with a gifted kid esp - because they can remember the answers/test so well. The school refuses to re-do tests within 6 months anyway.

Anyone got resources in London UK? Or UK elsewhere?
Originally Posted by Grinity
if you have folks that you have personal knowledge of that really get profoundly gifted kids, has the social skills to interact well with parents and school folk, doesn't pathologise normal PG behavior and will diagnose a problem when it really exists - then we can certainly add them to the list. bonus points for having enough integrity to not teach parents to help kids how to adapt to toxic situations but instead keep reminding parents to make that needed change.

I have one. She is already listed on Hoagies. For upstate NY, Pat Schuler from Creative Insights. We tested with her and she is absolutely wonderful. I can't say enough good things.
ch64, I saw Dr. Newman's name on there as well. I wondered if anyone had actually used her. It's almost an hour trip, but worth it for someone good. I just didn't know if a person/OT/ST/etc was just able to "advertise" on the Hoagies website, or if they had to be recommended. Thank you!
Any good ones in Houston, TX area?
re: testers, etc., adding themselves to the hoagies site -

From what I have read, the Hoagies listings are all parent-recommended.
Carolyn K. At Hoagies wouldn't add someone who asked to be added.

I suppose it is possible someone could pretend to be a parent and recommend himself or herself. Not very likely though!

Her goal with that list is certainly parent recs, not advertising.

P.S. If anyone finds a tester they like who is not on the Hoagies' list, please tell Carolyn so she can add that tester. Carolyn wants the help, plus more names on the list is good for parents and good for the psychologists added. I recommended our tester to Hoagies, and she is now getting enough GT business that she is able to specialize in GT only. That's good for our area!
We had all our testing done with Dr. Jerry Schecter. He is our district school pyschologist. He's also a SENG group leader and highly interested in supporting gifted children. His private practice is in Skokie, IL.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum