Word attack 116
passage Comprehension 136
Reading Recall 107
Calculation 121
Math facts fluency 101
Spelling 113
Writing Samples 139
Sentence Writing Fluency 107

He was diagnosed Convergence Insufficiency. He was also diagnosed ADHD by his pediatrician (a simple diagnosis), which we still have doubts as he does not respond to medication.

Can anyone please help interpret to see if there might be other issues?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: 13umm . - 06/12/23 10:22 AM
Posted By: 13umm Re: Interpretation of results, please - 06/12/23 10:30 AM
ADHD could also lower the PSI and WMI subtests.
Posted By: aeh Re: Interpretation of results, please - 07/06/23 12:25 AM
Your DC has some very nice strong to exceptional scores! Especially in the cognitive and academic tasks most reliant on higher-level thinking and reasoning.

13umm has helpfully listed the scaled scores, and is correct in the decreasing order of index scores. I would probably have grouped them a bit more as:

VCI/FRI are in the 140s (>99.5th %ile) (extremely high--highly gifted)
VSI is in the 130s (98th %ile) (extremely high--moderately gifted)
WMI is in the 120s (93rd %ile) (very high)--but probably best interpreted at the subtest level, given the wide disparity between them
PSI is in the 90s (45th %ile) (average)

GAI is in the 140s (99.7th %ile) (extremely high--highly gifted)

I also would have liked to know if all three conditions of Digit Span were the same, or if, by any chance, the DSForward was lower than the others, and more similar to Picture Span. This is a pattern often observed in students with attentional weaknesses (they do better on digits backward and sequencing than on forward).

It may or may not be that ADHD is the correct diagnosis, or that the medication is the correct medication. That would be a conversation to continue with your on-site professionals. But I will note that many of the tasks with lower performance are ones that can be lower in ADHD, including picture span and reading recall. Lower processing speed performance may be related to either ADHD or convergence insufficiency, or both, and was observed on the PSI subtests, math facts fluency, and sentence writing fluency. I should note, though that these could also be explained by fine motor speed. Block Design was also lower than its partner subtest, which, again, might have to do with visual or motor inefficiency. In support of the fine-motor speed hypothesis, reading fluency was within expected limits (based on measured cognition).

I would consider further investigation of fine-motor skills (typically through an occupational therapy evaluation, which could be obtained through your PCP or school-based team), looking at multiple aspects, for example, visual perception, motor coordination, visual-motor integration, fine motor speed and handwriting legibility and speed. If convergence therapy is in progress, you may wish to discuss the timing of any OT evals, since it may be difficult to tease out whether any weaknesses are connected to CI or fine motor impairmments at the moment.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum