Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Sarah Lee Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/23/18 10:31 PM
My daughter is 11 yrs old, 7th grader(skip 1yrs)
Her most recent rit reading scored 259 and 1685 Lexile score.
She is extremely gifted with understanding people's emotion and connnect, sensitive reader. Often times she is deeply connected with the characters in novels. I have a such a hard time to find the right books for her. Please advice!
Posted By: aeh Re: Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/24/18 11:34 PM
Have you taken a look at the sticky threads in Recommended Resources on books for different developmental interest levels? At this point, her reading level is well above that of most adults, so you may also wish to look at some of the classics of English literature (there are various lists of the top 100 classic novels that you can search for on the internet). Do you have topics or adult themes that you are trying to avoid for her, or is she able to handle most topics?
Posted By: Sarah Lee Re: Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/26/18 06:45 PM
Thank you so so much! I will look into the informations you mentioned!!!!
Posted By: Sarah Lee Re: Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/26/18 06:52 PM
Thank you so so much! She is still young, I try to avoid any sexuality descriptions. For classics readings, its very difficult to find with her reading level.
Posted By: aeh Re: Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/27/18 06:18 PM
You can also try old classics of children's literature, many of which were written at a higher reading level, with greater expectations of children's capacity to grasp subtle character and theme development, but very rarely, if ever, have graphic depictions of sexual content.
Posted By: mckinley Re: Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/27/18 06:47 PM
How about Covered Wagon Women, Volume 6?
Posted By: Sarah Lee Re: Rit reading score & lexile level - 09/27/18 07:18 PM
Thank you so much! I placed an order on Amazon.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum