Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: galun Help interpreting CAASPP score - 09/17/18 12:01 AM
Hello. We just got the CAASPP score back for our son who took it as a fourth grader. He maxed out on both ELA (2663) and math (2659). Is the CAASPP score one that can be interpreted across grades - i.e. his absolute score is still in “standard exceeded” range in 7th grade for ELA (2649-2745) and 8th grade for math (2653-2802), can we interpret that as his current grade level compared to the standard population? Thanks.

Furthermore, he is entering 5th grade and will be eligible for taking the PSAT through CTY / Duke talent search. At the CTY test (SCAT?) his percentile is 97. I think those are already compared to two grade levels above? He seems to be hitting ceilings on standardized test and I wonder if he will benefit from PSAT 8/9 which is 3-4 grade levels above.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Posted By: aeh Re: Help interpreting CAASPP score - 09/17/18 03:46 AM
It appears from the technical documentation that the first two-thirds of the test is taken only from grade-level material, which suggests that, although adaptive testing helps the test approach instructional level for most students, those at the very extremes of ability are likely to experience some ceiling or floor effects. IOW, once you hit the top of the test for that grade level, you should probably use caution in interpreting the results in terms of above-grade-level standards, since not many of them are directly assessed. That being said, it does appear that some kind of above-grade-level testing is in order for your child.
Posted By: galun Re: Help interpreting CAASPP score - 09/18/18 01:52 AM
Thanks aeh!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum