Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ben's Mom DYS Portfolio - 06/30/18 05:29 PM
We recently applied with borderline scores, but without a portfolio. We've been told we can re-apply in 6 months and plan to do so. In the mean time, we are trying to build a portfolio. My son struggles with handwriting/drawing so we don't have much along those lines to submit. We do have some testing from K and 1st that the school did. For example, his K report card for end of the year says 'reading grade equivalent of 3.1'. I also have a comment from a 1st grade report card that says 'x is working above grade level in all areas and excelling'. Is stuff like this even worth adding to a portfolio? We plan to take some videos of him discussing topics also. Any other suggestions on what we might add?
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: DYS Portfolio - 07/01/18 06:41 PM
As a second grader, your DS can participate in JHU-CTY Talent Search by taking the SCAT, a super short multiple choice math and analogies test. Although not on the Davidson list of tests, a sufficiently high score would provide an objective supplement. Double check with your school administration because in early elementary, my kids were given ability/achievement tests for internal purposes, which scores were not reported to me, but which correlated/supported later test scores. There are also some "competition" type testing in math, such as MOEMS, Kangaroo, etc. If barring handwriting your DS is otherwise an exceptional writer, you can have him type or tape him telling you what to type.
Posted By: Ben's Mom Re: DYS Portfolio - 08/16/18 07:24 PM
Is it within my rights to ask for any and all records pertaining to my son, including any testing they've done, which I have not seen results for?

Our school is somewhat aloof and clueless when it comes to special needs/circumstances from what I hear. It's a WONDERFUL city school district, but I hear that if they don't want to service you (for whatever reason, but especially related to special needs), they'd rather kick you out and send you to the local county school.
Posted By: indigo Re: DYS Portfolio - 08/16/18 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ben's Mom
Is it within my rights to ask for any and all records pertaining to my son, including any testing they've done, which I have not seen results for?
This link on FERPA may be of interest.

if they don't want to service you
In general, people are [i]served[/i], things are [i]serviced[/i].

special needs
This link on wrightslaw may be of interest.
Posted By: Ben's Mom Re: DYS Portfolio - 08/16/18 11:29 PM
thanks.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum