Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Jai Is RIAS2 a screener or a true IQ test? - 08/10/17 11:15 AM
This was the test given to DS8 to determine his eligibility (or rather his ineligibility) for gifted services at school after he passed the initial screening. I was surprised at how low he scored on the nonverbal section--that is usually his strength. I was given a three-page report explaining the test and his score. Is this test a screener or a true IQ test? The report I was given seems very brief.
Posted By: aeh Re: Is RIAS2 a screener or a true IQ test? - 08/10/17 07:16 PM
I would consider it to be a screener, rather than a comprehensive assessment, publisher/author marketing to the contrary. For gifted screening purposes, though, it is generally considered to be adequate for screening -in-.
Posted By: Aufilia Re: Is RIAS2 a screener or a true IQ test? - 08/10/17 11:35 PM
Would they let you provide scores from private testing? The one time a school psych did the RAIS on DD was the one time her IQ scores came out making NO sense whatsoever--and out school did not care to consider a 50-point deviation between verbal and non-verbal a red flag about either the child, the test, or the tester.
Posted By: Jai Re: Is RIAS2 a screener or a true IQ test? - 08/11/17 02:52 PM
Thank you both for responding. I am not sure if they will allow me to provide scores from a private tester. I may look into that. I am not confident that the G/T program at DS' school is worth the "fight". It's just a once a week, hourly pull out with a "student-led" curriculum. I may just observe it this year to see how it is.
Posted By: atticcat Re: Is RIAS2 a screener or a true IQ test? - 08/12/17 04:02 PM
We had the RIAS test with a private screener,the school would of provided but I was in a hurry after all the time that had passed between the first test with school.Mine was a non talker,she had certain people around whom she clammed up on.I found that test $200 cheaper than the other .
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum