Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Corvidae Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/28/16 12:32 AM
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while and really hate to make my first post a request for help, yet I'm still doing it! I was wondering if one of you very helpful test-knowledgeable people would calculate my DD8's GAI given her WISC-V scores. No personally identifying info here but please let me know if I need to edit my post.

The reason I'm curious about her GAI is that her WM score was so much lower than the rest of her results. Therefore, was there a significant impact on her resulting FSIQ? Given that she has a few 19s, is it possible that extended norms would have applied to her testing? I'm afraid I don't know much about how the extended norms work and there's not a lot of info on the internet about them for the WISC-V.

Thank you in advance for your help and thank you for all the wonderful posts I've been reading. This is an extraordinarily helpful crowd!

Corvidae

Index:
Verbal Comprehension: 146
Visual Spatial 147
Fluid Reasoning 151
Working Memory 115
Processing Speed 126
FSIQ 152

Verbal Comprehension:
Similarities 19
Vocabulary 17

Fluid Reasoning:
Matrix Reasoning 19
Figure Weights 18

Processing Speed:
Coding 14
Symbol Search 15

Visual Spatial:
Block Design 17
Visual Puzzles 19

Working Memory:
Digit Span 18
Picture Span 7 (yes 7!)

Posted By: aeh Re: Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/28/16 02:57 PM
I'm away right now, so I can't calculate it at the moment, or respond in much depth, but I can say that it probably won't change much, as the low subtest is not included in the FSIQ calculation.
Welcome Corvidae.

These are excellent scores. You should apply for Davidson if you haven't done it.
Thank you aeh.

And thank you for the welcome ajinlove. I applied for Davidson at the end of June so I'm currently on tenterhooks wondering if the decision will come down today or tomorrow. I'm not getting much done as I obsessively check my email!
With this score, I don't see why they would not accept her to the program :-)
Corvidae- those are excellent scores! We also applied to DYS in June and are anxiously awaiting a response :-) Fingers crossed!
Good luck to you! Please let me know when you find out. Exciting stuff!
Posted By: Merlin Re: Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/28/16 07:26 PM
yay! We are in the same boat. We also applied in June and eager to get the results.
Hello Corvidae, and congratulations on those results! I do not have access to the GAI tables (although I have searched for them as well!), but here's what I know. You add vocab+similarities+matrix reasoning+figure weights+block design to get the GAI sum of scaled scores. Then you take that sum and enter it into Pearson's table to find the GAI.

I believe that on the WISC V, a sum of 84=GAI 144 and a sum of 87=GAI 148, so your child's sum of 90 would put her GAI very near, if not equal to, her FSIQ.

As for extended norms, there are folks here that know plenty more than I do about this, but it appears that they might be applicable in some sections.

Posted By: Merlin Re: Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/28/16 11:06 PM
Just got the email from DYS, that my son was accepted. Check your inboxes.
We just got the thumbs up email as well. Nice to "meet" you guys smile
Just got our acceptance too :-)
We got the acceptance as well. Congratulations to you all! smile
HI ChasingTwo, I had plugged her numbers into the only Pearson table I was able to find, which was for the WISC-IV, and it didn't look quite right to me, which is why I was wondering if someone has access to the WISC-V scale or if it even differs from the previous one!

I'm very interested to hear if anyone knows more about the extended norms or if they would apply in my daughter's case. She was tested back in February and I'm hesitant to pay the hourly rate for a consultation. Ooof!
Congrats to all of you!
Posted By: fjzh Re: Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/29/16 02:37 AM
Congratulations everyone! We just got the email, too. I'm curious, as I'm unsure if we did both parent enrollments properly...is the process automated? Should we have gained access to log in immediately? Or are we waiting until it is manually approved?
Posted By: Merlin Re: Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/29/16 02:43 AM
I filled out the enrollment signatures too but didn't gain access. Just an automated message saying we have received your submission. So I'm guessing it may take a day or two for them to process the info.
It takes a few days for them to assign you a consultant and get the paperwork done.
Posted By: fjzh Re: Help with calculating GAI please (WISC-V) - 07/29/16 03:01 AM
Thanks, ElizabethN smile
Yes, Corvidae, the WISC V GAI tables are different than the WISC IV tables. The values I listed were for the WISC V.

As for extended norms, they haven't been released yet for the WISC V, so they can't be calculated as of yet. However, when they are released, if you have the raw scores (not the scaled scores), you should be able to determine whether the scores change (assuming they will release the extended norm tables as well). if the raw score is very high on a subtest, it might increase the composite scores. There are some good older threads on this topic that explain it better than I do, but essentially, a higher raw score might translate into a higher scaled score.
I didn't realize you were using the WISC-V table - sorry there!

I was under the impression that the extended norms would have been released by now given the timeframe mentioned by Pearson (see bottom of this post). I may actually end up consulting with DD's educational psychologist once the extended norms are released. If they do push her FSIQ upwards in any significant way (a big 'if,' I know), I would possibly be willing to see if she could participate in research on the subject.

Q: When will extended norms be available for the WISC–V?
A: Extended norms are used by practitioners who are evaluating intellectually gifted children, to inform interpretation. Extended norms must be validated with a sample of children who are highly intellectually gifted, and that case collection takes some time because these children are rare. The validation sample is currently being collected. The WISC–V was released at the beginning of December, 2014, and the extended norms are planned for release approximately a year and a half after the initial release of the WISC–V. (source: http://www.pearsonassess.ca/content/dam/ani/clinicalassessments/ca/programs/pdfs/wisc-v-cdn-faqs.pdf)
Regarding the extended norms - perhaps searching this forum rather than Google would have been helpful! Here's a thread about the current data collection: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....Extended_Norms_data_col.html#Post231489.

Thank you to those of you who responded in this thread!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum