Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: dr primio CTY testing question - 05/22/16 05:11 PM
Greetings fabulous parents!
I'm curious about the CTY testing. My DYS7 is going into 2nd grade and, I believe, is ready for this, but the test is freaking me out... and I know would freak her out, too. In a testing center? Taking a test next to some kid who is taking their GRE or some such test? Yikes! And is this a test people study for like the SAT? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: CTY testing question - 05/22/16 06:04 PM
Don't freak out - it's not a particularly stressful assessment. All three of my kids took SCAT at that age/grade. It's super short - almost an hour (max time limit) for my slowest kid and only about half an hour for my fast kid. It's one section of quantitative and one section of verbal and all multiple choice. The quantitative can be answered without actual solving (hence reasoning ability based on number sense) or with standard calculations (more of an "achievement" measure for kids who have studied higher level curriculums). The verbal is analogies so a measure of vocubulary plus reasoning. I don't think you are supposed to study for it. However, I have heard of analogies books aimed for elementary kids and obviously the kid can study higher level math curriculum. As far as sitting next to an adult, just explain to your DD that other people are testing for other programs. Just don't make it a big deal and she will more likely not treat it as a big deal. Good luck.
Posted By: Merlin Re: CTY testing question - 05/22/16 06:26 PM
My son just took the grade 2 scat last month. They actually put him in a separate room because of his age. He finished the test in 30 mins. Even though I wish he went back and thoroughly checked his answers. The test is very straightforward. You get online results in a few days, though it's been two weeks and I still haven't received the results in the mail. I had him review the sample test that's provided online so he would get used to the type of questions asked, but nothing really more than that.
Posted By: dr primio Re: CTY testing question - 05/22/16 06:43 PM
did they just put him in another room at your request, or did they have that set up because they knew you were coming? or did you walk in, they saw how young he was and then put him in another room?
and what city do you live? do all test centers do that?? thanks!
Posted By: Merlin Re: CTY testing question - 05/22/16 06:49 PM
The room was already there. The administrator did it on her own and said this is usually where we have the younger kids sit so we can have a closer eye on them. The room was small but had many windows and it was right next to the proctor/administrator. I'm pretty sure this was just this center. Every one is different but you can always call ahead of time and ask what they do when there is a young child testing. This lady told me they actually get a lot of young kids. I'm assuming the kids are taking scat because I don't know what other test they could be taking.
Posted By: dr primio Re: CTY testing question - 05/22/16 07:01 PM
ah... totally makes sense.
the thing i find frustrating, is CTY will only let you take classes for the grade you just COMPLETED... what's the point? i thought this was suppose to be more advanced? or does that come in the older grades? are these (very expensive classes) worth it?
Posted By: Merlin Re: CTY testing question - 05/22/16 08:40 PM
I don't think that is true. There are grade recommendations but you can take a placement test and see where your child actually is. I signed up my son for higher levels since he scored well on the placement tests. Not sure if these courses are worth it yet since this summer will be his first online course. The courses are supposedly more advanced than normal public school grade level.
Posted By: RoyalBlue Re: CTY testing question - 05/23/16 05:05 PM
The CTY coursework is above grade level. Keep in mind that all of the students taking the class had to pass the SCAT which is an out of level test. The summer after second grade my (MG) daughter took one of the online Young Readers' Series courses and we found the work to be appropriate for her. It was far more in depth than anything she had done at school. Also, many of the assignments were structured in such a way that an even more advanced student could have benefited from them.

Are the classes worth it? That probably depends heavily on your financial situation. We were lucky that my mother-in-law paid for the class as it would have been far out of our price range otherwise, and I think the prices have gone up even more since then. However, the class was a good fit for our daughter and if money were no object, I would sign her up again.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: CTY testing question - 05/23/16 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by RoyalBlue
Also, many of the assignments were structured in such a way that an even more advanced student could have benefited from them.

My DD took one of the online Young Readers' courses as a sixth grader (so, the oldest in the class), and while it was not difficult for her to excel, she did engage the material thoughtfully and got some really good feedback on her writing. I felt it was worth the money, but it was money I had. I might not feel the same way if I was having trouble paying for other stuff.
Posted By: Thomas Percy Re: CTY testing question - 05/23/16 07:08 PM
I am more interested in their summer camp. Can anyone comment on those?
Posted By: Hyakamooks Re: CTY testing question - 05/26/16 05:46 PM
My second grader just took the CTY SCAT at the Prometrics in Seattle. It was almost completely stress-free. She thought it was cool to take the test with adults, and their security was great - she sat at the study carrel right next to the viewing window and I was required to sign her in and out for the break.

Still waiting on results with fingers crossed! But as I said to her, it doesn't matter how you did on the test, because a lot of what a test informs us is how well you can take tests!
Posted By: dr primio Re: CTY testing question - 05/30/16 06:40 PM
Awesome... My biggest concern was the testing facility. So you put my mind at ease... Thanks!
Posted By: JessicaJune Re: CTY testing question - 05/30/16 10:30 PM
My son took the test and said it was fun. However, I was a bit stunned that they wanded him, had him turn his pockets inside out, and he had to lift up his pant legs and sleeves. Then, he came out between tests to see me and they did a second body search.
Posted By: Hyakamooks Re: CTY testing question - 06/01/16 01:51 AM
Yes, they do wand everyone, to make sure they don't have cell phones/devices, but it's less invasive than a TSA wand experience.

I agree on the fun-ness - my daughter had a blast taking the test.

One suggestion: we went during a really slow time - when you check the Prometrics calendar, go for the hours when most people are at work or not wide awake yet. We went first thing in the morning and there were only 2 other people in a facility that serves ~25.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: CTY testing question - 06/01/16 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by JessicaJune
My son took the test and said it was fun. However, I was a bit stunned that they wanded him, had him turn his pockets inside out, and he had to lift up his pant legs and sleeves. Then, he came out between tests to see me and they did a second body search.

Cheats suck - I am saddened that there is now a need to have such stringent measures but gladdened that they have the intestinal fortitude to adopt them.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum