Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: LAF UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/29/16 11:00 PM
I do not have actual scores yet, but I just called GATE office and they told me he was Highly Gifted Applicable. This means he scored between 99.5% and 99.8%.

Although I wish he had scored as HG (99.9%) since he would automatically get into the HG school I think would be a good fit, now at least he has a chance to get in as they do accept kids who are "applicable" if they still have room once they have taken all the HG kids.

I am so happy that he finally has a score that reflects his ability and that he will be eligible for GATE.
Posted By: aeh Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/29/16 11:35 PM
Yay!
That is great!
Very nice!
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/30/16 04:31 AM
Well the good news is - he can apply to the school, the bad news is, we missed the magnet deadline and so now we are walk-ins… with a HG designation you go to the top of the list as points don't matter for HG- but with an HGA designation you go to the bottom of the list, and where you are in the list is dependent on your magnet points.

and the punchline… we don't have any points. So.. cross your fingers… I think it's all going to depend on how many kids qualify and choose to go.
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/30/16 11:01 PM
Hi CUT - I don't think Walter Reed IHP is a good fit for my DS, I toured it already. So your DD is going to PHGM next year? Wonderful smile

I requested raw scores and percentile the day they tested him, but there are only 2 clerks that have to send out 12,000 letters a year so I'm not sure how long it will take to get them. I called and they had his score in the system, that's how I know he is HGA.
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/30/16 11:04 PM
CUT what did you mean about they added another magnet class this year? I know that they took a lot more applicants last year because they expanded, is that what you mean?
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/31/16 02:20 AM
Thanks for the clarification -so if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose PHGM over IHP? smile
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 03/31/16 04:03 AM
Thanks CUT!
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 04/02/16 02:17 PM
So, another update (wow this has been a great week!) I got a call yesterday and DS11 got into the HG school!

CUT glad our kids will both be in a great program (everyone I've talked to said it was really great for HG kids)

Also you can request a breakdown (in writing) of your child's scores from LAUSD GATE which gives raw scores. Not sure if it will give subtest scores etc, but I did get more info than percentile.
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 04/02/16 10:38 PM
Well I think we had 4 points since we'd signed up for a magnet that we didn't get into… (I got the wait list letter about a week ago) so maybe that was enough! But I suspect it has more to do with the fact that they are allowed to take more kids this year so they could take all the HGAs that applied.
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 04/03/16 12:45 AM
The middle school we are zoned for is likely PHBAO but the school we are currently in is not. I will have to go look, but if points aren't a factor I guess they just got to the end of the list and had room for us.
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 04/03/16 03:02 PM
Okay yes- the middle school we are zoned for IS on the list.. Interesting!
Posted By: LAF Re: UPDATE got reassessment percentile for DS11 - 04/12/16 11:20 PM
Okay! smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum