Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Eibbed CogAT test results question - 03/14/16 10:57 PM
Hi,

I just received DS8, grade 3, CogAT scores. He was 99% in verbal, quantitative, and composite. However his nonverbal was only 93%. I understand that that is still a good score but it shows that he has relative cognitive weakness in that area. I am having a hard time understanding exactly what that means and what steps I should take to help him in this area. Any insight and ideas you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: CogAT test results question - 03/14/16 11:49 PM
Our school actually ignores the nonverbal, so in their opinion, that score is least important.

I believe that this is still a 9C profile? Nothing to worry about, IMO.

Also, DD took CogAT twice so far and scored differently in one domain...her lowest domain became her very highest on the second administration. So, again, I would not overthink it.
Posted By: Eibbed Re: CogAT test results question - 03/14/16 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Loy58
I believe that this is still a 9C profile? Nothing to worry about, IMO.

What is a 9C profile?
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 12:27 AM
Our district doesn't use the quantitative.. doesn't even test it. Ds was >99th percentile verbal and 98th percentile non verbal (his WISC scores are opposite)
Posted By: Loy58 Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 12:33 AM
[/quote] What is a 9C profile? [/quote]

I don't know if the test maker still has it, but they used to actually have a section on their website where you could input data and come out with a short profile description. 9C is a profile description. 9 is the stanine. 9A would be an extremely uniform profile, I seem to recall. 9E, I believe, was a very uneven profile. 9C had some diversity, I believe, but was not extremely uneven.
Posted By: aeh Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 01:35 AM
See below webpage for CogAT profile interpretation:

http://www.hmhco.com/cogat/cogatprofile
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 02:27 AM
Isn't it a 9B profile? (One relative weakness, no relative strength)
Posted By: ajinlove Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 05:58 AM
I believe the report should give you which profile the test scores belong to and you can look up the detailed explanation on the CogAT site.
Posted By: Loy58 Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Isn't it a 9B profile? (One relative weakness, no relative strength)

Might be. I didn't really use their web page to calculate it (relied on my vague, possibly poor, memory). But either way, from what I've seen of the CogAT, it did not appear worrisome.
Posted By: longcut Re: CogAT test results question - 03/15/16 07:20 PM
This document (CogAT - Test explanation for parents ) might be helpful to you for understanding profile info to put it into the CogAT page that aeh posted (where you use the drop-downs to select the specific profile).

I think that score might be a 9B(N-), but it could be 9E(N-) depending on the actual difference in SAS scores. Our school didn't print the SAS out, just gave us the profile and percentiles; I had to request the SAS scores.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum