Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: afoonah DYS - WISC V Scores & alternate qualifying - 01/02/16 11:26 PM
Are there alternate qualifying criteria that can be used? My 8yo qualified on the WISC ***CORRECTION, NEARLY qualified. She had FSIQ 139, GAI 141, Verbal Comprehension 146 and Fluid Reasoning 140. She did not qualify on the WIAT though some scores, including Fluid Reasoning, were 99.9th percentile. She has written a cohesive, inventive novel a little over 100 pages. She dictated it onto audio files and I transcribed it. Can this be submitted along with her scores to qualify for DYS? If so, has anyone done that and know what the process would be.
If he qualified on the Wisc there is no need to also qualify on the Wiat. You only need one or the other now.
Sorry, I just corrected an error. She did not qualify on the WISC V. She got the Verbal Comprehension and was close on the Fluid Reasoning and GAI.
Can you have her take the EXPLORE test?
I wasn't familiar with EXPLORE, but will check it out. We live rurally and are homeschooling (not that well, yet) after her 2nd grade classroom wasn't teaching anything and she fell behind, might not be a good time for the EXPLORE.

I guess I was hoping the numbers weren't hard and fast. I think she's been drastically under challenged, almost neglected and the scores under-represent her abilities. She's getting bored and disillusioned and lazy (at 8!!). I am hoping the involvement with Davidson might help steer her in a better direction. I thought the book she worked on sort of shone through what's been a murky period, and I thought it might help her application but if it's strict numbers then I suppose it won't. I heard something about portfolio... I wasn't sure what it was and thought it meant I could highlight an accomplishment to bolster her scores.

Her lowest scores were 2nd percentile on the WIAT and her high scores on that test were 99th - 99.9th. Maybe that shows she's been underdeveloped and is stagnating. Or maybe a disability that the tester failed to recognize. I will pursue the application and would love any suggestions that might make it work - or to know that it can't work would also be helpful to hear.
From what I understand, they are not hard and fast if your kid is extremely close. It can't hurt to apply as it's free and not that much work to do so.
Originally Posted by afoonah
I heard something about portfolio... I wasn't sure what it was and thought it meant I could highlight an accomplishment to bolster her scores.

They changed the criteria in July of 2015. I really cannot comment upon applying under the new criteria, as my 2 DYS qualified under the old criteria. The old criteria required 2 of 3 qualifying parts: IQ score that meets or exceeds, achievement score that meets or exceeds, or a portfolio. We used scores and never the portfolio.

The new system requires only one score. My understanding is that you can still submit "portfolio-type" material to round out the application (just as you fill out an application to give a better understanding of the applicant - but ultimately, the applicant meets their criteria or does not. I don't think that my writing abilities played a part! wink ), but you only need the single score. HTH!
Really, that is good to hear. So I guess we'll just apply and attach her book with it. Please let me know if anyone knows of anything else we might add or do. Wishing a fruitful, joyful year to all!
Thanks Loy, just saw your post now. Hmmm... so maybe not a good chance of success then. I wonder if the WISC V was a disadvantage, given the Flynn effect, and it being a matter of 4 points. Thanks for the thoughts.
I think that Davidson will adjust their WISC V criteria if they find that scores are coming in low (criteria are periodically adjusted, it seems). They seem to have very specific things that they are looking for with each individual test, though, as I would have to guess that they see many, many scores. I seem to recall that the same concerns were expressed over the WISC IV and WPPSI IV when they first came out. I simply cannot comment on how they would interpret her scores, as our situation was different. Perhaps someone here who has applied more recently has better insight. The good news is - you only need to qualify on one test, and the WISC V is not the only test available. If she took the EXPLORE or SBV (or any of the other listed tests) and the scores qualified, my understanding is that you would not need to submit anything additional.
If the EXPLORE is an achievement test I'm concerned that very lacking education the last 18 months will dampen results. But thanks for mentioning it. We have our test review scheduled with the psychologist this month, and I will discuss this test with him, or whether WJ or Stanford-Binet might make sense to do. She was also sick during testing and the day before one of the test days she had a concussion. Thanks for the valuable thoughts on this.
They are flexible when scores are extremely close. I would apply with what you have. The worst case is probably that they ask for more info.
It's iffy, but I think you're right. We will have her take the EXPLORE as some suggested, as it looks like a useful tool besides DYS. I looked further into it today and went ahead and registered. Seems like its the last test for a while. If no luck there we will just go for it, throw in extras and see what happens.

Thanks for the hopeful info and thought!
A quick follow up. I've heard more supporting that they are in fact sticklers for the the test scores and rarely deviate. So trying to get the score from a different test is probably the better option...
Hi afoonah, I wonder whether you have applied DYS for your daughter yet. My 2e DS did not have a qualifying score under WISC-V, his FSIQ was 144 and with only one subtest above 145. I applied for him and was recently accepted. You might want to give a try as the application process is not as time consuming.
I hadn't really thought about it this way -- that the WISC V scores might be low compared to the IV such that achievement could be a better measure. Why are the qualifying EXPLORE tests as relevant as the others?

I just find it interesting that DS now qualifies using EXPLORE, was close on the WIAT, but not the WISC. If the CogAT were used, his SAS there were 3+ SDs. He's gifted but that 145+ yo-yos around and shows he's high achieving and gifted. :-)

Originally Posted by Loy58
I think that Davidson will adjust their WISC V criteria if they find that scores are coming in low (criteria are periodically adjusted, it seems). They seem to have very specific things that they are looking for with each individual test, though, as I would have to guess that they see many, many scores. I seem to recall that the same concerns were expressed over the WISC IV and WPPSI IV when they first came out. I simply cannot comment on how they would interpret her scores, as our situation was different. Perhaps someone here who has applied more recently has better insight. The good news is - you only need to qualify on one test, and the WISC V is not the only test available. If she took the EXPLORE or SBV (or any of the other listed tests) and the scores qualified, my understanding is that you would not need to submit anything additional.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum